Is Altap Salamander Development Stalled?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Longing for x64

Is Altap Salamander Development Stalled?

Post by Longing for x64 »

I was a very eager and admiring user of Altap Salamander until I got me this new Intel P4 with EM64T support (a Cedar Mill). Windows XP x64 Edition was the operating system of choice, of course, and it really had advantages over Windows XP--it is based on Windows Server 2003 technology (NT 5.2), after all.

AS doesn't work well on x64 Edition. I had funny and enduring--till I found out about the cause--problems with the differences of filesystem and registry presented to 32-bit versus 64-bit processes, including a .sys driver that wouldn't work because I had copied it into %windir%\system32\drivers using AS.

To get less of these problems I switched to SpeedProject's SpeedCommander which has a properly working well-tested x64 version but I really really miss AS. The clean classic interface, the load of direct-hit features. I've been awaiting an x64 update for so long... it's been more than six _months_ since last release. Now I'm wondering whether AS development is stalled or something. Tell me if that is so, I'll invest my hopes elsewhere.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Salamander has just a long development cycle, it isn't unusual for a next version to be released after half a year. That's the reason why Salamander is so stable and reliable. Anyway, developing a 64bit version is one of the priorities and the process is under discussion. Look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=12751.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Longing for x64

ether wrote:Salamander has just a long development cycle, it isn't unusual for a next version to be released after half a year. That's the reason why Salamander is so stable and reliable. Anyway, developing a 64bit version is one of the priorities and the process is under discussion. Look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=12751.
I had read that thread before and I appreciate the hard work they at ATLAP put into releasing more or less bug free software. My question is about _when_ the next release (with x64 support) will come out, not whether it will. I need to know if I'll be stuck with SpeedCommander for a month or a year.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm sorry, we cannot tell you. We didn't it before (x64), must switch to new compiler (VS 2008) we didn't see before. Estimate dates under such conditions is absolutely impossible for us.

Only thing we can tell: it has very high priority for us, we understand that Salamander users need it. I'm working on Windows Vista x64 too.
Longing for x64

Jan Rysavy wrote:I'm sorry, we cannot tell you. We didn't it before (x64), must switch to new compiler (VS 2008) we didn't see before. Estimate dates under such conditions is absolutely impossible for us.

Only thing we can tell: it has very high priority for us, we understand that Salamander users need it. I'm working on Windows Vista x64 too.
Well then, good luck. And thanks for taking the time to respond.