file list order obvious ?!

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
RoelofB

file list order obvious ?!

Post by RoelofB »

See attachment screenshot image : I do not understand "order by name" : obviously an '_' is before an 'a', which is before an '0', which is before 1-9, etc. but why are there 2 sections of filenames beginning with 'IE6' in the example screenshot?
Attachments
This screenshot shows the example file list in Salamander 2.51 (left) and the normal Windows folder (right) : they are NOT showing the SAME file order (look at the first items).
This screenshot shows the example file list in Salamander 2.51 (left) and the normal Windows folder (right) : they are NOT showing the SAME file order (look at the first items).
charorder.gif (16.98 KiB) Viewed 8915 times
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

What's you set up of Configuration > Panels > Use numerical sort ...?
Jiri {x2} Cincura
RoelofB

Sorting options

Post by RoelofB »

See image : this was my Salamander setting of the posted file list screenshot. I admit, changing these two checkboxes differs the order, but no (?!) combination of them acts logical in this file list, regarding my described sorting rules.

And / but what about the order in IE? Can I change its "sort setting" also?
Attachments
setting of the file list
setting of the file list
sorting.gif (2.76 KiB) Viewed 8911 times
simple is not always best, but best is always simple
SvA

Re: file list order obvious ?!

Post by SvA »

RoelofB wrote:... obviously an '_' is before an 'a', which is before an '0', which is before 1-9, etc.
Evidently, what you call obvious is not obvious at all, otherwise you would not ask.

Windows Explorer started to try to make sense of sequences of digits in names and sort these digits according to its numerical order. You can think of this like any sequence of digits is regarded as one character which is sorted like a digit with value of the sequence. Salamander tries to mimic this behaviour if options are set accordingly.

Windows seems to place these numbers even before the end of the name part (or maybe before the dot, I did not investigate this). Salamander sorts them, more logically, after shorter strings.

Digits are usually sorted before characters, not after them, as your statement suggests.

Regional settings might change this, as well as how accented and other special characters are sorted and where non-alphanumeric characters are placed.

If you want to get all ie5* in a row, you either need to turn off numeric sorting or add some seperator (like '_') in all file names alike. As it is now, 50 is greater than 6 and therefore is sorted after it. 501 again is greater than 60.
RoelofB

OK !

Post by RoelofB »

Thanks SvA! Now I understand a lot more.
And about 'obvious' : this triggered a good answer .. :)
simple is not always best, but best is always simple
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

W2K and Vista sorts IE5_.jpg before IE5_5.jpg. XP sort order is reversed: IE5_5.jpg is before IE5_.jpg. I have fixed it, so Salamander will sort the same way as Explorer also on XP. Thanks for reporting this difference.