Is it possible to ensure correctness of files copied?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
roman2

Is it possible to ensure correctness of files copied?

Post by roman2 »

I've read people's stories about having corrupted files that were copied to external disks with corruption being caused by insufficient USB electricity supply, bad disks, etc. Is it possible to get Salamander to verify correctness of the files it copies (like some CD/DVD writing programs do)? If not, can you suggest another program?
Ether

Post by Ether »

There's the checksum plugin. Make checksums of all source files, save them into a file, and then check the new files (e.g. on the USB drive) against the checksums.
Ελληνικά rulez.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

It would be cool if I could simply set a flag to use a fault-tolerant mode of copy.
Ether

Post by Ether »

fault-tolerant? Should this mean what it means or should it mean what it should mean? I mean, fault-tolerant is something that is tolerant to faults, allowing them to be made. Maybe you meant fault-proof, i.e. disallowing faults. I don't want to argue over words, but both of it would make sense.

And yes, it would be good to have a 'verify the data after finishing' function.
Ελληνικά rulez.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

What you wrote in blue is what I want.