Viewer for DOCX (word 2007)

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
finalfrontier

Viewer for DOCX (word 2007)

Post by finalfrontier »

Is there any possiblity to update the viewer plugin, so that I can view Office 2007 files?

Many thanks.

Mihai
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Viewer for DOCX (word 2007)

Post by Jan Patera »

finalfrontier wrote:Is there any possiblity to update the viewer plugin, so that I can view Office 2007 files?
Can you send us few sample files to support{at sign}pictview.com?
Thanks
SvA

Post by SvA »

I doubt some sample files will bring you any much further.

What you probably need is the file format's definition Standard ECMA-376 Office Open XML File Formats or a converter like e.g Novell's OpenOffice. OpenXML Translator (for which I did not check any license conditions, but since it is ment to be used from an opensource application, you probably should be able to figure out the API).

There is another format, somewhat related to this, which will become imported to support: XPS (XML Paper Specification), Microsoft's attempt to superceed PDF.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

SvA wrote:I doubt some sample files will bring you any much further.
1) Viewers must be tested on real-world data. For something with as wide definition & use as office file format is there is never enough test data.
2) For many file formats I am able to extract at least a thumbnail without ever having any format specification. An example from the last week is the CKD file format used by CAD Keycreator (to be supported in Salamander 2.51). Another example is the OpenOffice file format.
SvA wrote: What you probably need is the file format's definition Standard ECMA-376 Office Open XML File Formats or a converter like e.g Novell's OpenOffice OpenXML Translator
Thanks for the links.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Patera wrote: 1) Viewers must be tested on real-world data. For something with as wide definition & use as office file format is there is never enough test data.
2) For many file formats I am able to extract at least a thumbnail without ever having any format specification. An example from the last week is the CKD file format used by CAD Keycreator (to be supported in Salamander 2.51). Another example is the OpenOffice file format.
The docx, xlsx, etc. files are just ZIP files with XML (and some other) files in it. There's no thumbnail by default.

The good thing about this is, that you're able to extract at least text without any big effort. Just reading the [Content_Types].xml and then another xml with document.

Then rendering the document, basic document, isn't problem too. It's similar to HTML. There's just text content and to it the formating styles are applied (they're saved in styles.xml and few others).
But doing really good render, with graphics, charts, images, lines, complex styles will no be so easy.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

cincura.net wrote:The docx, xlsx, etc. files are just ZIP files with XML (and some other) files in it. There's no thumbnail by default.
Are you saying that there *can* be a thumbnail? Can you send me few such samples, please?
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Jan, wouldn't it be more efficient if you got hold of your own copy of Word 2007 and created all kinds of sample files you want?
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

roman2 wrote:Jan, wouldn't it be more efficient if you got hold of your own copy of Word 2007 and created all kinds of sample files you want?
As I said before, I need real-world documents, not just "Hello world, this is my test file". I am sorry, but I am not willing to invest that much money for few files.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The trial version of MS Office 2007 is available for free.

(I don't say you should invest your time in it, only FYI.)

Some DOCX samples: http://openxmldeveloper.org/articles/De ... ntent.aspx
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Patera wrote:Are you saying that there *can* be a thumbnail?
AFAIR the option is there. But not sure, how the applications doing this. I.e. for Word there isn't, neither for images in document.
Jan Patera wrote:Can you send me few such samples, please?
I can send you bunch of these files. Just send me private email.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Considering that there are free MS Office file viewers available, why duplicate this functionality in this plug-in?
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

cincura.net wrote:
Jan Patera wrote:Can you send me few such samples, please?
I can send you bunch of these files. Just send me private email.
Jiri, I mentioned the address in my 1st response in this thread. And I am pretty sure you already know it - support{at sign}pictview.com
Thanks in advance ;-)
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

roman2 wrote:Considering that there are free MS Office file viewers available, why duplicate this functionality in this plug-in?
At least some information is needed to have seamless integration in Salamander, for example in the Thumbnail view...
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Some DOCX samples: http://openxmldeveloper.org/articles/De ... ntent.aspx
Thanks, Jan. I have found a thumbnail just in all but one .PPTX files (I assume these are PowerPoint presentations).

So, unless I obtain a sample .DOCX or .XLSX file with a thumbnail in the following 48 hours, Altap Salamander 2.51 will be capable of extracting thumbnails just from .PPTX files.
Due to the complexity of the file format and the fact that Eroiica Viewer is a free plugin and there is no commercial demand to support these file formats in the parent application, I do not expect full support of these XML-based file formats in the Eroiica Viewer plugin in the coming months, or perhaps years.

However, may somebody, who has MS Office 2007 installed, please try to view any .DOCX file using the Internet Explorer Viewer plugin in Salamander?
It is possible (and I'd like to find out) there is a MSIE plugin automatically installed with MS Office 2007. Thanks ;-)
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Patera wrote: However, may somebody, who has MS Office 2007 installed, please try to view any .DOCX file using the Internet Explorer Viewer plugin in Salamander?
It is possible (and I'd like to find out) there is a MSIE plugin automatically installed with MS Office 2007. Thanks ;-)
If you associate DOCX to IE Viewer and try to do F3. The IE Viewer just offers you to download/open the file. It's not opened.

MS Office 2007 Professinal.
Jiri {x2} Cincura