Beautiful icon & splash

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
grymmjack

Beautiful icon & splash

Post by grymmjack »

Kudos to the winner of the contest. The new icon and splash really give the app some needed spit and polish. I am still getting used to the orange icon instead of the old one though :)

Keep clicking outlook and firefox :P
mazy

Post by mazy »

same here, i'm still looking for the old icon in taskbar ;). funny though that this new icon suits my visual style perfectly (as it uses orange color for highlight / hot track).
thomas_s

Post by thomas_s »

mazy wrote:same here, i'm still looking for the old icon in taskbar ;).
Same for me. The new icon looks elegant, but I will need some time to familiarize.

Tom
ino

Post by ino »

mazy wrote:i'm still looking for the old icon in taskbar
I use Salamander for five years - it is not easy to switch to new icon, but I like it Image :shock: 8)
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

ino wrote:I use Salamander for five years - it is not easy to switch to new icon, but I like it
The same for me. I use SS since 1998 and light icon (instesd old dark) in taskbar and systray confused me. :?
But this is matter of time. :)
omega

Post by omega »

I simply use the shortcut i created above programs on the start menu.
Since i use the word "salamander" i recognize it immediately.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

As a long time user it is indeed not easy to find the new Icon in the Taskbar :? (the more so as I have MS-Outlook in Taskbar - looks very similar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kk0815/97843926/!)
BUT the new Icon / splash screen / About box outweigh this - no doubt! :D
Last edited by KNUT on 10 Feb 2006, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by grymmjack »

KNUT wrote:As a long time user it is indeed not easy to find the new Icon in the Taskbar :? (the more so as I have MS-Outlook in Taskbar - looks very similar!)

BUT the new Icon / splash screen / About box outweigh this - no doubt! :D
KNUT, same here -- outlook is same color as SS.

It could be a cool feature to provide several different colors of the icon and make it option to select one -- we could go to blue for example like the old icon and quickly glancing it looks a GREAT deal like the outlook icon. I wouldn't be surprised if the designer actually sampled the colors upon closer examination :)

Anyway small concern. We can hack the icon I think with resource hacker no? Has anyone done this successfully as there are tray hooks for salamander and I know that sometimes reshacks for icons which serve dual roles (taskbar and tray) sometimes screws things up. Plus I'd bet that SS isn't coded in a typical way as the altap guys are gurus :)

That said what reshacker do you all use to change icons out of apps and has anyone done it with SS b11?

KNUT

Post by KNUT »

grymmjack wrote:It could be a cool feature to provide several different colors of the icon and make it option to select one -- we could go to blue for example like the old icon
:P That's it - perfect idea - the old blue color with the new wunderful Icon.
@Altap: PLEASE... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kind regards, KNUT

Icon

Post by elefkof »

The new icon and splash are great. Definitely gives it a 2006 feel to an app I have been a faithful user of since 1999.

I like the orange color it makes it stand out for me on my taskbar. The old icon sort of blended in. I think I am used to the new one already!
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

I like the new icon as well... very visible and clean!

However, that little hi-light (between toes 2 and 3) makes it look (at a glance) like the Salamander has 5 toes: 4 regular toes and one withered. Close inspection shows this isn't the case, but it still bothers me.

This is because most subtle photographic effects do not shrink to icon size very well and tend to "blur" the image (and the iconography)!
Mouse-centric, Registered