Your Servant Salamander (screenshots)

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
thomas_s

Re: It's not a fake. :)

Post by thomas_s »

Jan Perhac wrote:To thomas_s: It's not a fake.
I meant, it's a faked OS X screen. ;)

I really would like to see (something like) Servant Salamander under Mac OS X...
silbereis
Translator
Translator

My Salamander speak GERMAN

Post by silbereis »

antp

Re: Your Servant Salamander (screenshots)

Post by antp »

mazy wrote: i'll start with mine, it's a bit colorful [...]
http://mazy.johanka.cz/my_pics/temp/sal ... -01-28.png
Thanks for the idea of coloring files by extension :) I wonder why I never thought to that, since I liked this feature in ACDSee.
mazy

Post by mazy »

[quote:8e7

Post by Guest »

mazy wrote:post screenshots of your servant salamander in action ;)
http://mazy.johanka.cz/my_pics/temp/sal ... -01-28.png
Very nice dark Screenshoot. What is this for a GUI changer? WindowsBlinds...?
mazy

Post by mazy »

Anonymous wrote:Very nice dark Screenshoot. What is this for a GUI changer? WindowsBlinds...?
thanks :). it's just standard windows xp visual style, it's called half life 2 on deviantart.com.
Stuckinarutt

Help..

Post by Stuckinarutt »

hi guys...

Bit of a stupid question and I apologise... but I am an English teacher and I have to teach a class of kids tomorrow using Sims 2 (dont ask) and need to get the Sims 2 University Expansion Pack... So I downloaded a version of the university expansion pack and now I have to "UnRar" the files, which I am assuming I can do with Salamandar... trouble is, I am a useless individual and I can't figure out how to do it... can anyone help me? Much appreciated,

Max
jis

Re: Help..

Post by jis »

Stuckinarutt wrote:hi guys...

Bit of a stupid question and I apologise... but I am an English teacher and I have to teach a class of kids tomorrow using Sims 2 (dont ask) and need to get the Sims 2 University Expansion Pack... So I downloaded a version of the university expansion pack and now I have to "UnRar" the files, which I am assuming I can do with Salamandar... trouble is, I am a useless individual and I can't figure out how to do it... can anyone help me? Much appreciated,

Max
Just select rar archive, press ALT+F9, press ENTER (Ok) and your rar archive will unpack in the folder with the same name as your archive. But please, this thread is discussion about "Your Servant Salamander (screenshots)". Next, post in the new thread, named appropriately.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Code-Breaker

Post by Code-Breaker »

Icons and spash images changed to red:

KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Code-Breaker wrote:Icons and spash images changed to red
Hey - cool 8) How do you do that? Can you provide a step-by-step guide?
The old blue would be nice... :roll:
Kind regards, KNUT

Instructions...

Post by Code-Breaker »

OK, here are the instructions to change the colors of the icon and splash/about box images. This process is very easy, and should take you about 10 minutes or less (unless you want to edit your own images, which will take longer).

I made a blue version. Here's what it looks like:

If you want to use either my blue or red 'themes', it will save you some work. You can download a zipfile containing the necessary files here:

http://www.code-breaker.com/SS/Salama_b.zip ...for blue
http://www.code-breaker.com/SS/Salama_r.zip ...for red

If you want to do a different color, read on. Unzip the file. It contains 3 image files, and an icon.

First, download and install a resource editor. I like 'XN Resource Editor'. These instructions will be tailored to that program, but you can probably use another just fine.

http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

First thing's first. Make a backup of salamand.exe. Next, make another backup. :)

Fire it up, and open salamand.exe (make sure SS is NOT running!). On the left are the various types of resources. We want to modify 2 types. Bitmaps, and an icon. Open the bitmaps folder, and open the folder '1004'. That's the big logo! OK, remember the number 1004.

If you are creating your own custom color, at this point you want to export the image. Open that image in a bitmap editor like PhotoShop and edit the color to your liking. Save as bmp. Remember not to touch the neon pink color, it is what gets turned to transparent.

Delete that resource (use the 'Resource' menu, then select 'Delete Resource'). Remember that if you select the folder named 1004, it won't let you delete. You need to select the image resource itself to delete it (the folder will be deleted too).

Now select 'Import Image Resource'. Browse to the folder you downloaded with the images (or the one you just made), select the image (I added the resource number for convenience) and click open. For some reason, XN closes all tree branches when you do this, so you'll have to open them again. The new resource is probably number 1008. Change that number to 1004.

Now open 1005. This is the 'Fade' bar. Repeat the step above: delete it. Import Image Resource, and rename the new resource to...1005.

Same for 1006, the words 'servant salamander' with version #.

Now do the same thing for the icon. If your making your own, you'll need an icon editor like MicroAngelo to edit the icon. The icon resource group is a little farther down, and the icon you want is the first one, resource number 960. Same deal, delete it, import image resource, select the icon, and the change the number of new resource to 960. Your done. Save.

Fire up SS. Enjoy the spiffy new colors. You can update the icons in your start menu/quick launch/desktop/wherever else by right-clicking, choose properties, and 'Change Icon'.

If something didn't go right, just close SS, delete the exe, and replace it with your backup. Try again if you want.

While the ALTAP staff does not officially support these instructions or modifications, they are posted with ALTAP's permission.

Have fun, Code-Breaker
Last edited by Code-Breaker on 15 Feb 2006, 03:28, edited 2 times in total.
Jan Perhac

Splash screen

Post by Jan Perhac »

Another splash - screen vision. :)

roger

Re: Splash screen

Post by roger »

Jan Perhac wrote:Another splash - screen vision. :)
That's nice.
jis

Re: Instructions...

Post by jis »

Code-Breaker wrote:OK, here are the instructions to change the colors of the icon and splash/about box images. This process is very easy, and should take you about 10 minutes or less (unless you want to edit your own images, which will take longer).
Thank you very much Code-Breaker, very nice work!

Here is the procedure for those of us who like old good Resource Hacker.

The routine is nearly identical, with only these differences:
1) Resource Hacker will do for you backup of SALAMAND.exe as SALAMAND_original.exe automatically.
2) With Resource Hacker there is no need to delete original resource before importing new image resource and then renaming new resource as deleted one. Just use action 'Replace Resource' in context menu for selected resource.

The whole customization process from prepared resources will take with Resource Hacker less than 2 minutes :wink:
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
mazy

Post by mazy »

little ot, these are mostly screenshots of menu / toolbar utility truelaunchbar. some of them show servant salamander though ;).

Image Image Image Image
(1920 x 1200, ~300KB to 1MB, forum post)