roadmap not changed in 7 months!!is this possible?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
zxspectrum

roadmap not changed in 7 months!!is this possible?

Post by zxspectrum »

hi,i,personally am very disappointed with this new beta 11 version of ss.last 4 months i was waiting and expecting at least a quarter of that roadmap implemented in the new beta,since no major changes was made last beta version either.
I think altap staff is concentrating on the wrong stuff to do.first of all,i think users of this kind of software (file managers) are not so much intrested in the look of the program but in it's functionality!!!,not to mention 3-4 months period between beta versions are too long,check your competition!!!!;)
So,to cut the long story short,i'm switching back to total comander.For the last year or so i have submited dozens of bug reports and suggestions,and i think in vain!Nobody cares about the important stuff.You people are demanding money for some promises,i saw some issues on the roadmap older than 1 year!!that is not admissible these days!maybe i am to hard on you guys,i would like to see some other intense users of ss opinion!!thx for reading this much.
P.S. i even liked old icon more than this new one!
mazy

Post by mazy »

well the development is somehow slow (from users' view), no doubt about it.

on the other hand, the developers said what to expect from version 2.5, rest stuff on the roadmap is for new versions after that, that was made clear long time ago.

servant salamander is very usable as it is and will only get better. i can understand that top priority is now finishing language translation tools and help files for 2.5 release.

as for total commander, to each his own, i guess ;). i, for one, love speed and robustness of ss, coupled with great and useful keyboard shortcuts and other features.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I am sorry, but i have to support mazy. I can't believe nothing has changed in 7 months. I payed for this software and i msged them about 1,5 years ago about the "unzip multiple files at once" bug. Nothing happend. I don't care about a half-ass implemented ftp module. It can't be too hard to get a simple thing like that done, especially if you need it in your daily life. And i don't want to install some other shit software just to do that, Total Commander does it since 10 years.
It's the small things that make Servant Salamander uninteresting, for example that the search content window doesn't get auto-focus when i click on "search content". It's the small extra clicks that make Salamander uninteresting.
Sorry, but the development didn't slow down, it completely STALLED over the last year and i'm more than disappointed.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Scotsman wrote:I payed for this software and i msged them about 1,5 years ago about the "unzip multiple files at once" bug. Nothing happend.
ALTAP Roadmap - Unpack multiple archives by one command.
Scotsman wrote:for example that the search content window doesn't get auto-focus when i click on "search content"
Did you report us this problem? Do you mean the Find window when you click the Find Files and Directories button in toolbar?
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Scotsman wrote:the search content window doesn't get auto-focus when i click on "search content".
Even when the "search file content" checkbox is unchecked, just hit Alt-C. This will check it, show the "Containing" edit box and bring the focus there.

To JR: IMHO #271
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Scotsman wrote:the search content window doesn't get auto-focus when i click on "search content".
We don't think it is a user-friendly idea. When you click some GUI element, it should receive the focus.

Instead, we can provide a new option in the Find window: Focus the Containing field when Find is opened.

Scotsman, I'm sorry, but Servant Salamander development will be STALLED forever from your point of view :lol:
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I see some ambiguity there. When i hit alt+c i get the desired effect, the "containing" window gets auto focus.

Jan, if a user clicks on "search file content" he almost always wants to search for some file content, reasonable, huh?. So the user wants to enter the search pattern right away. Why do i need to click in the window for that?

Alt+C is a good workaround, but the mouseclicking thing would be even better. I think it's far more userfriendly than the current status. There's no logical reason why the checkbox should receive the focus.

Anyway, posting me the Roadmap just won't do it. Unzip multiple files has been on the roadmap for 7-10 months now and will probably stay on the roadmap for another 3 months till the next beta comes out. So that's almost one year for implementing a stupid little function. That's what me and zxspectrum are talking about. I've been starving for new Salamander versions implementing the features on the roadmap, cause i "want" 50% of them. And since 7 almost nothing has changed. That's what we are complaining about.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Furthermore, i'd just like to see some kind of a release date or deadline, when we could expect the roadmap to be fully implemented!
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Scotsman wrote:Jan, if a user clicks on "search file content" he almost always wants to search for some file content, reasonable, huh?. So the user wants to enter the search pattern right away. Why do i need to click in the window for that?
I understand you but we will not change this (the GUI reason). Keep the Search file content option always on, or use the Alt+C (you are going to write to the Containing field so you have your hands on keyboard), or click two-time.
Scotsman wrote:Furthermore, i'd just like to see some kind of a release date or deadline, when we could expect the roadmap to be fully implemented!
We will release the final version when it will be done (language translations support, documentation). We are Czech/European company and we must deliver Czech and German version this time. Trust me, that we are doing our best to finish it ASAP.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Alrighty, so do your best :)

I'll stick around and see what happens
zxspectrum

Post by zxspectrum »

scotsman wrote:"I've been starving for new Salamander versions implementing the features on the roadmap, cause i "want" 50% of them"
well,i'm starving for new ss implementing the features on the roadmap even more,cause i "want" 80% of them ;) !!!!!
Textor

Post by Textor »

I personally am not at all disappointed with the time it takes for SS to be developed.
Why?
Because even as a beta version, Salmander is better than all the other file managers I have tried so far, from TotalCommander to Free Commander, A43 and 2xExplorer. I don't see what is there to complain about, save perhaps the missing help on occassion.
So,to cut the long story short,i'm switching back to total comander.For the last year or so i have submited dozens of bug reports and suggestions
I registered SS back in 2003, and have since come across no more than 4-5 issues serious enough to warrant a bug report, in spite of using SS nearly every day.
You people are demanding money for some promises
I don't think so. IMHO, Altap is demanding a reasonable amount of money for a product that is already quite good, and getting better with each release.
That is not admissible these days!maybe i am to hard on you guys,i would like to see some other intense users of ss opinion!
A lot of companies far bigger than Altap sell worse software for higher prices, even whole Operating Systems ... If development takes too long, I suggest you donate a large amount of cash to the authors, that should help 8)
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Scotsman wrote:[...]a half-ass implemented ftp module[...]
[...]And i don't want to install some other shit software [..]
Your pronunciation says enough - thanks and good bye... :shock:
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by omega »

Exactly KNUT. People complaining about the ALTAP team doing nothing are just lame. How many beta programs are as stable as SS have these guys tested? Users who don't know now programming sure complain a lot.
It takes time to implement stuffs, solve difficult problems etc..
So far the ALTAP team has done a good job. :)

If you guys don't like it you can always switch back to TC instead of talking nonsense.
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

2KNUT
Respect! :)

Interesting, how long I use beta software and satisfacted with their quality, e.g. LiteStep, foobar, EAC, SS. :)

ALTAP says that only reasons to keep SS in beta status are translation tool and documentation!
I know, many people like apps with native language to them, but I prefer English interface. But how many from there who read Help file from SS 2.0? Documentation is the most annoying thing in software development, but commercial status of SS required this tings.
And I think, at 1 May ALTAP will notify us, that in SS they fixed 4 bugs, made 2 improvements, and updated some plugins. And new beta 12 expires on 1 September. :)

By the way, since SS 2.0 release I live on Official TC Russian forum like oposite person. :)