Please update the roadmap! It's outdated!

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Roadmap is updated :)

Version 2.51 is done, we are working on new web pages and internal database to be able sell new plugins (WinSCP and SFX) to existing 2.0 users.
There. That was posted 09/08/2007 in this thead :twisted:
Ether

Post by Ether »

@Peter] Oh, my mistake.

@ALTAP Team] That wasn't the smartest move. So hurry now, we're all waiting.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are doing small changes (in 2.51) related to our new purchase system.
dhuseby

Rediculous

Post by dhuseby »

I was about to apologize but changed my mind.

I don't understand what this thread is really about.

I really don't believe the developers of Salamander were trying to write a new version of TC..that makes no sense at all. If you want TC then buy TC...solve all of your problems. I have been using Salamander for years and I use it because I love it. TC may have a great many features Salamander doesn't but MOST of those is from buggy third party plugins. Salamanders strengths are in things like the user menu bar (that is much, much more than just a toolbar. Regular expressions in the rename tool...WITH a built in regex dictionary...it practically writes your expression for you. Seemingly small features like the choice to execute a file through the shell instead of salopen, pressing Ctrl+Enter to place the selected file/folder name on the command line, etc...etc...

I AM patiently awaiting some features; I still use TC for most of my large scale archive operations, but I am not about to badger the developement team. I would much rather they took there time to assure me the stable wonderful tool I use every day will stay as wonderful.

I was just on the TC site and I didn't even see a roadmap...

Some of the features in the Salamander roadmap are astounding...**A file transfer tunnel from one Salamnder to another** I mean come on..that rocks.

Take your time fellas...take 10 years...my upgrade will still be free and I will still be using your tool, and recommending it over ALL other file managers to my freinds and associates.
OFM addict

Post by OFM addict »

I was just on the TC site and I didn't even see a roadmap...
There is no "roadmap" because the TC author prefers to program stuff instead of promising stuff. It's done when it's done.

Nevertheless, not everything is kept top-secret, you can see a list of confirmed additions for TC 7.5 here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=18619
OFM addict

Post by OFM addict »

TC may have a great many features Salamander doesn't but MOST of those is from buggy third party plugins.
This is ugly bad-mouthing, either because of an impressive lack of knowledge or fanboyism, just sad to read that. It doesn't speak for this forum if such a nonsense stays unanswered for so long. What has happended to all those open-minded AS users? Is JohnFredC the only voice in the AS community who has ever started an alternative file manager for longer than a few seconds?

There is a reason why so many file managers try to add support for the TC plugin interface. If all of those plugins were "buggy", why would anyone care 'bout them, including Altap?

Unfortunately a roadmap is nothing I can use today. For example I have read about Salamander supporting tabs several years ago already. Still waiting...
Ether

Post by Ether »

First of all, I'm a fan of AS, I use it as my everyday file manager. But certainly I don't consider myself narrow-minded or anyhow incapacitated about that. I haven't used AS all the time. I tried other managers, even before trying SS (so it's not love at first sight). I tried WC/TC, FAR, DN/DN open source project, M602, WinM602, VC, NC, DOS Commander (I'm not sure about the name), Frigate, maybe others as well; and I still think that AS has its qualities, for which I prefer to use it. However, I still use other managers (mainly TC) when needed, mostly because of me being lazy to program a tool that would do the work AS isn't able to do, e.g. creating structured lists (plugin), packing many folders into separate archives.
OFM addict wrote:I have read about Salamander supporting tabs several years ago already. Still waiting...
I'm still not sure about why tabs should be so superior, I ought to try it out. Anyway, other people are waiting for other features, namely Unicode and UAC support, translations. On the other hand, I had waited very long for at least some reasonable kind of interface and abandoning the 'configuration file in Windows dir' attitude, and still waiting for other things.
OFM addict wrote:There is a reason why so many file managers try to add support for the TC plugin interface. If all of those plugins were "buggy", why would anyone care 'bout them, including Altap?
They are buggy. ... OK, at least some of them, but you can't be sure and that's what it's about. And so will be third-party plugins for AS. The thing is that the plugins shipped with AS are not. You could say that TC has its features in the main program and that equal to these plugins, but the AS implementation has its advantages.
OFM addict wrote:There is no "roadmap" because the TC author prefers to program stuff instead of promising stuff. It's done when it's done.
That's why we've finally convinced Altap to remove the dates. However, a roadmap is a good thing.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Guest Nr.XYZ

Please update the roadmap! It's outdated...

Post by Guest Nr.XYZ »

Thanks and best regards,
Guest Nr.XYZ

Post by guest »

TABS are a must have. In my opinion this is the ONE thing holding this product back.