Why do you use Salamander?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Ether

Why do you use Salamander?

Post by Ether »

Please, post here what did make you use Salamander. Its advantages against other file managers, useful functions, friendly behaviour. Eventually, why do you still use some other manager? :wink:

Please, don't turn this thread into feature requests.
Anteaus

Re: Why do you use Salamander?

Post by Anteaus »

As an IT guy, most of the requests I get for tape restores are due to files lost through a simple, momentary loss of concentration when using Windows Explorer. Or, even just a speck of dust that jams the mouse momentarily -with no confirmation dialog for any operations except delete, one slip and the disaster (e.g. copying 10GB of files into an adjacent folder by accident) cannot be averted.

Basically, the Windows Explorer drag-and-drop behaviour is an ergonomic disaster. So, I use Salamander mainly because it answers these issues. OK, it has a lot of other useful features too, but the fact that it works properly and reliably as a file-management tool is what counts.
taotoon

Post by taotoon »

I don't like Windows Explorer. When drop and drag files in Tree view, it auto expand and slide which may miss the target.

I alway drag and drop and miss the target. It auto slide too I have to scroll bar and do it again.

Vista don't have any too icon so suck.
Nailz

Post by Nailz »

taotoon wrote:I alway drag and drop and miss the target. It auto slide too I have to scroll bar and do it again.
That! And I always used Norton Commander back in the days..
Ether

Post by Ether »

After some deliberations, I think the main reason that use AS is that it includes all file-managing features I need in a nice two-panel interface I'm used to (I used M602 for a long time and in the last two years of my DOS era DOS Navigator). Plus the complex configuration options. Someone on this forum said: "People are different, but AS fits them all."

AS is the first application I install on a new OS. Lately I found my system without any image viewer, (un)packer and other utilities, just because I don't need them having AS.
Last edited by Ether on 21 Aug 2007, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
scottna

nothing better

Post by scottna »

I am a DOS dinosaur too - used Norton Commander for ages, even with windows but long file name issues caused a shift to a windows based file handler. Not mention so far but one of my main uses is the ease of creating, adding too and accessing zip files which is a big plus.
svyr

Post by svyr »

2 pannel interface (ala old style dos vc/nc), speed indicators and options for copying/moving (incl overwrite options at the start of copying), archives as folders plugin, faster and more convinient then explorer and many other file managers i used before, convinient keyboard shortcuts and plugins to save time (incl file renamer)
assaf azoulay

Post by assaf azoulay »

Very slick and impressive gui, lower button bar changing when you press
alt ctrl and shift, nice shortcuts much more faster than other.
great scp plugin(unique) and others like undelete registery.
great customization options. great views, middle toolbar(also unique)
custom columns and much more . its almost perfect ,except that
the database is in registery and not in a file (which cant be portable)
anyway i like it more the all others.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

I started to use it because I wanted a two panel file manager. It can't be beat with Explorer type. Sometimes I tree view is very useful, but two panel views are best for copying/moving files. And then I got stuck with it because it's just beautiful and very stable. And has most features that I need: selection masks, command line, custom menu, hot paths, etc. I think I've used all of them.

What others said is also true for me.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

assaf azoulay wrote:its almost perfect ,except that the database is in registery and not in a file (which cant be portable)
This is my gripe with it too. I don't get why some developers choose to us registry for it. Some other program I use recently switched to using registry. I think it's bad judgment.

The settings can exported to a file, which is a good thing, but it's a hassle and, like assaf said, doesn't allow it to be used as a portable app.

Perhaps, it can be if it's Thinstalled. I will try it one day.
assaf azoulay

Post by assaf azoulay »

roman2! ,today i've found out that you can export your settings and
use them on other computer,
the process is like that : options->Export configuration than save it in
salamand directory (where salamand.exe is)
to a file called :config.reg (not config.reg___) .
you can copy then the whole directory to other computer(or flash drive) and use it from there on any computer!!!!
vlad84

Post by vlad84 »

Because it's a great piece of software, lightning fast. Today I had to bulk rename 700.000 files. I've tried some apps but the estimated time of completition was a few hours. (i didn't knew salamander had a bulk rename plug-in) I accidentaly discovered it and I was done in 10 minutes. :D