RC3 Quick Rename: Copying the name of file

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:Agreed. At least, have a configuration option to allow the old behavior.
Done. Also Ctrl+A for Select All. Works like a charm.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Done.
What did you do? Added a configuration option?

I liked the idea of a cycling F2 button, understanding that it would not cycle F2's behaviour in the panel, but add additional functionality to the Quick Rename dialog. This would not interfere with anything available yet, but indeed, I was thinking about how it is easyest to change selecton to extension only, or whole filename, because, as I wrote before, I need all. The simplicity and ease of use of this cycling aproche immediately strikes to mind.
SelfMan wrote:Altap refused such implementation as non standard behavior
I would understand this position if it broak any standard, but since it does not (does it?), why not be inventeous, why not be innovative, why not set a new standard?

Edit: fixed markup
Last edited by SvA on 23 Apr 2007, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SvA wrote:What did you do? Added a configuration option?
Yes
therube

Post by therube »

We can also introduce a new option in the configuration to bring back old behavior.
Yes, please.
Could you please let us know how you like new behavior?
Awful.
And even if it were to be useful, depending upon how I wanted to rename, the cursor would then be on the wrong side of "dot" (.). For me, lots of unwarranted keystrokes.
how do you use the Quick Rename command.
Rename one file name to another.
Copy original name to clipboard. Paste that name overtop a different file name. Resulting in overwriting original file with different file.

Or simply to rename inline.
Most often, it would be to append something on the end - past the existing extension, ABC.TXT -> ABC.TXT2.
cyclic F2
Sounds better, easier, quicker then other methods. F2 is already known. Your hand is already on the key. Better then F2, Ctrl+A, or some other nonsense.

Even with cyclic F2, still there should be an option to disable the cyclic part.
What did you do? Added a configuration option?
Yes
Thanks.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Agreed. At least, have a configuration option to allow the old behavior.
Done. [...]
Thank you! :)
Joker

New or old behaviour

Post by Joker »

When changing a filename I really embrace the change!
When copying a filename to clipboard I get frustrated by the change!
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: New or old behaviour

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Joker wrote:When changing a filename I really embrace the change!
When copying a filename to clipboard I get frustrated by the change!
So use Quick Rename function for renaming and other mentioned functions for copying names to clipboard ;-)