configuring SS

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
omega

configuring SS

Post by omega »

hi,

Is there a way i can open txt files very fast in SS. Cause notepad is very slow here, taking about 15 sec to open.

Plus how do you configure SS to change an external editor instead of using notepad?
areve

Re: configuring SS

Post by areve »

omega wrote:Is there a way i can open txt files very fast in SS. Cause notepad is very slow here, taking about 15 sec to open.
Press F3
omega wrote:Plus how do you configure SS to change an external editor instead of using notepad?
Option>Configuration>Viewers & Editors>Editors
Create a new file mask *.txt and choose another editor in the Command box.

I use Crimson Editor, which is fast, free and has many more features than notepad.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

By default hitting F3 on *.txt files launches the instant internal text viewer.

You can configure external text editor in Options/Configuration/Viewers & Editors/Editors page.
omega

Post by omega »

I created a new mask *.txt and configured in the command box to choose a different external editor. After saving this configuration i restarted SS but still when i open a txt file Notepad seems to appear instead the other editor.

Any clues?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you export your Servant Salamander configuration (Options > Export Configuration), pack it using ZIP archiver, and send it to my email jan.rysavy@altap.cz ?
omega

Post by omega »

Guys, it should be F4 :) thanks Jan
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Options > Configuration > Viewers & Editors:

Viewers -- F3 (View command)
Alternate Viewers -- Alt+F3 (Alternate View command)
Editors -- F4 (Edit command)

There are also handy Ctrl+Shift+F3 (View With command) and Cltr+Shift+F4 (Edit With command) to bypass associations from configuration and force desired viewer or editor.