Plea for action / moderate impatience expressed

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
JohnFredC

Plea for action / moderate impatience expressed

Post by JohnFredC »

As they (used to) say here in America: "Whuzzup???"

It seems as if Salamander is stalled. Is v2.5 almost done?

Salamander is so smoooth. I love it and use it exclusively for a certain class of file management. Only... for me, it needs a few additional features, like folder tabs, an optional folder tree in each tab, custom column layouts, and QuickView functionality. If it had these things, it would rock even more.

Since I've made these specific requests in this forum in the past, this isn't a request posting.

Instead, it is a plea to "get on with it!" 8)
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

:arrow: Wait for 3.0.
My deepest apologies for my awful English.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

maxovt wrote::arrow: Wait for 3.0.
Oh I know I know.

It's just that Salamander has been essentially unchanged (for my use, anyway) for years now. The last enhancement that directly affected my use was thumbnail view (and when was that?). Since then there has been nothing new of consequence to enhance Salamander's functionality for me, though I am sure sFTP/SCP and all that is very helpful to others....

(Sigh)
Mouse-centric, Registered
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

You can make custom column layouts (if I understood your request correctly) in Configuration / Views panel. For each detailed view you can set which columns to show, although there are very few avaiable columns to choose from.

As a QuickView substitution I'm using very big thumbnail sizes (~300px) and only one panel.

It's pitty, that you cannot set any properties for other view types in Configuration / Views panel. In Czech part of the forum I once proposed to add thumbnail size setting to each Thumbnail view - to be able to change between big and small thumbnails without going to the configuration. (and to have different thumbnail sizes in different panels at the same time)
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

zarevak wrote:As a QuickView substitution I'm using very big thumbnail sizes (~300px) and only one panel.
QuickView is not Thumnail Preview. It is absolutely different thing. Look for Total Commander how it there realized: when on Ctrl+Q one file panel is being replaced by viewer plugins.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

JohnFredC wrote:
maxovt wrote::arrow: Wait for 3.0.
Oh I know I know.

It's just that Salamander has been essentially unchanged (for my use, anyway) for years now. The last enhancement that directly affected my use was thumbnail view (and when was that?). Since then there has been nothing new of consequence to enhance Salamander's functionality for me, though I am sure sFTP/SCP and all that is very helpful to others....

(Sigh)
We postponed development because Salamander was heavily underdocumented. This problem is gone now. As soon as support for language translation will be finished, we can release final 2.5 and return to development of new features from ALTAP Roadmap.
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 04 Feb 2007, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

maxovt wrote:QuickView is not Thumnail Preview. It is absolutely different thing. Look for Total Commander how it there realized: when on Ctrl+Q one file panel is being replaced by viewer plugins.
I fully understand the difference between the two. Big thumbnails are for now the fastest and closest thing available in Salamander:

I've also taken look at Total Commander's Quick View:
Image Image
Ah, official installation of Total Commander 6.56 doesn't support JPEGs. :shock: I also don't understand, why I just see the top left corner of the image. I wanted quick view not a quick peek.

Here is the picture of the QuickView of my dreams: 8)
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

zarevak wrote:Ah, official installation of Total Commander 6.56 doesn't support JPEGs. :shock:
You need to install IrfanView or XnView and write path in: Configuration -> Options -> Edit/View -> Configure Internal Viewer... -> Use IrfanView/XnView to load graphics other than BMP
Or there are some viewer plugins too...

This ability in SS case must be more cooler, when in QuickView panel will be possible to view all formats supported by iternal plugins viewer, eroiica, pictview, mmviewer, ieviewer...
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

This post points up the reason I think that the Altap staff should ignore pride issues and support the TotalCommander plugin architecture in addition to (not instead of) the Salamander plugin architecture.

This TC plugin site is quite an eye opener. It will take a long time for the Altap staff to duplicate the functionality available for free here.

For instance, here is the QuickView (lister) plugin I use for jpgs, etc. in TC. There others. Many prefer the Imagine plugin.

I am not encouraging users to switch to TC from Salamander. Far from it! Many things about Salamander are vastly superior. But the TC plugin architecture (lister plugins, file system plugins, custom column plugins, packer plugins) is easy to develop for, powerful, and has an enormous body of free plugins already available.

Chances are, if you need it, there is a TC plugin already for it.
Mouse-centric, Registered
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

With look at Salamander Roadmap you can realise that "missing" plugins are only minor problem for us...

Fundamental changes must be made in Salamander core: Unicode support, 64 bit version, Vista support, Tortoise CVS/SVN overlay icons, Tabs, Synchronize command, Network browsing, etc.

Post by Guest »

Fundamental changes must be made in Salamander core: Unicode support, 64 bit version, Vista support, Tortoise CVS/SVN overlay icons, Tabs, Synchronize command, Network browsing, etc.
CANT WAIT for that ... I'm a registered using who's worried since the last update was in october of 2006 ... are you guys hard at work hacking in the dark or is the project stalled?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

This month we will release Altap Salamander 2.5 RC3.

Major changes:
+Copy/Move progress dialog box contains:
-total transfered size
-transfer speed
-time estimation
+(optional) Transfer speed limit for Copy/Move operations.
+Support for Windows Vista

Final version 2.5 will be released next month. Unfortunately the support for language translation is not finished so we will release it as update as soon as it will be ready.

omega

Post by omega »

Looks good Jan.
This task "Copy/Move/Delete operations: display estimated time and transfer speed" can be checked as done.

So if SS 2.5 final will be released in April, when do we get to see what bullets in the roadmap will be in development for SS 3.0?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

omega wrote:So if SS 2.5 final will be released in April, when do we get to see what bullets in the roadmap will be in development for SS 3.0?
We must finish support for language translations first...
starpause

Post by starpause »

i'm dying from a lack of icon overlays ... every job i've worked the past three years has used SVN for version control and it's ridiculous to always be opening up windows explorer to see what files have been modified, checked out, etc.

i love salamander but it's been a few rc2 betas i've had to download with ... no updates :shock: :? :( :cry: :x :?: :!: