Some productivity tips

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
grymmjack

Some productivity tips

Post by grymmjack »

Hi fellow SS'ers I figured I would start a thread by writing a short post on how I am most productive with my SS. Feel free to reply with your own tips (this program has made my life 100x simpler).

Anyway on with the tips.

#1 - Assign the SS shortcut a hotkey. To do this, right click on the start menu program shortcut for SS (or quicklaunch if you like) to launch SS with hotkey. I use WIN+S for mine. SS will allow multiple instances of itself to run as a feature, but this can be disabled (and should be when using a hotkey it will just bring SS to the front/foreground) by choosing Options | General | [x] Allow only one instance of SS at a time. In this way you can use WIN+S to bring up SS at ANY time -- very cool!

#2 - Setup drive letters for logical usage. My disk strategy is verbose and complicated, but it's something like this: C = Windows, D = Downloads, E = Install (stuff ready to install with setups etc), F = MP3, G = Games, H = Hardware Drivers, I = Information (My Documents), K = Assets, M = Music+Audio (I am musician), P = Projects, S = Storage, W = Web Root (for local server), Y = CDR, Z = DVD-RW, V = DaemonTools Virtual Drive. So what's the big deal? Well in SS I can hold SHIFT and press the drive letter -- and in my head this is so fast and perfect - want to check downloads? WIN+S, SHIFT+D, not in root? CTRL+BACKSPACE, done. 3 keyboard shortcuts from anywhere and I am there. Same for my work (I am web developer and store client works in W:\clients\ - so SHIFT+W, CTRL+BACKSPACE, down arrow, enter, clients. Of course I have hotpaths as well but this saves so much time.

#3 - Use key searching in the lists. Lets say I want to find a file I downloaded off the web that is named "ZipTools.exe", (firefox downloads all files without asking to D:\ (downloads remember from step #2). Simple, swap to SS WIN+SS, SHIFT+D, type 'z' lowercase no shift, and first file starting with z is jumped to/selected, type 'i', and files named 'zi' are shown. So there it is selected ZipTools.exe, ready for whatever else is next.

#4 - Use panels with grace - going on #3, I want to copy ZipTools.exe to my E: Install partition in the Toolbox directory, so: Hit TAB, now in panel 2, type SHIFT+E, CTRL+BACKSPACE, type 'toolb' (necessary because I have directory Tools also, ENTER, F7, type 'ZipTools v1.0', ENTER, ENTER (to enter new directory), TAB (back on ziptools.exe in panel 1), F6 to move. Now I realize oops I want to also sort some things on Install (E:). No problem, ALT-F1, type '.', now panel 1 and panel 2 are in same place. Now go do sorting.

#5 - FTP with agility. ALT+F2, type '/', down arrow to site, press ENTER, done. TAB, select, F5, etc.

#6 - Create your own custom views. For me I only need to see filename and filesize the rest I can see in the info status bar at bottom of panel. This leaves more room for filename and makes my life easier. So create new view, drag filename column header out to be good size, while leaving atleast 16 char space for size, done. ALT+8 = My favorite views, ALT+2-7 = other default SS views -- ALT+5 is very handy (thumbnails). ALT+8 and ALT+5 are my favorites ;)

#7 - Create hotpaths to C:\Documents and Settings and C:\Program Files. As much as you use these two paths, you need hotpaths to them for this reason. ALT+F1, 1, and you are at the profile docs+settings, ALT+F1, 2, and you are at program files, etc.

#8 - Create new files without using context menu by using script below with touch.exe (found anywhere - google for it) from hotkeys F9, down arrow, ENTER, name file, ENTER, done -- instead of using slow shell based context menu: Right Click -> New -> wait several seconds -> Text document, name document, enter, rename document and extension to what you wanted. Here is script:

Code: Select all

dq        = chr(34)
fileName  = InputBox("Enter filename for new file")
set shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
exePath   = "E:\tools\touch.exe"
exeArgs   = dq + fileName + dq
cmdLine   = exePath + " " + exeArgs
retVal    = shell.Run(cmdLine)
Name that newfile.vbs and setup a shortcut to run it in your user menu via: command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe, arguments: e:\tools\touch.vbs, initial path: $(FullPath).

#9 - Integrate mounting of isos with Dtools for usermenu:

mount = command: "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe", arguments: -mount 0,"$(FullName)"

unmount = command: "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe", arguments: -unmount 0

Now show the usermenu toolbar (after assigning spiffy icons to your entries -- i like the green/red dtools icons from daemon.exe), and all set. Simply highlight a iso, bin, mdf, etc and click Mount -- to unmount click Unmount :)

#10 - Internal Viewer font: set it to 9pt Terminal -- this is a font that can display all the text as DOS. Using dark background with light foreground emulates good old DOS :)

#11 - Backspace = cd.. , CTRL+Backspace = cd \

#12 - Copy paste paths quickly - Right click panel toolbar area, choose "Directory Line", now venture to a deep path, now hover mouse over each directory in path and right click and choose Copy to Clipboard! ;) The same functionality for files? No problem. Highlight your file and choose F2, CTRL+C, ESC. Filename now on clipboard. Want all highlighted files? Easy. Highlight files (INS, INS, INS, INS), CTRL+M, set dialog to this: destination: Clipboard, Line: $(FileName)$(CRLF), done. Of course you can modify Line: to be whatever you like with handy macros/variables picked from the chevron menu (the right pointing arrow to the right of line textbox).

There are others but these are the main ones. The most efficiency is had by the disk partitions. If you dont have actual partitions you can use disk management and NTFS junction points/mountpoints (also known as hardlinks and symlinks and aliases) using other tools (if need those I have them as well.)

Lets hear some of yours now :)

P.S. Ok one more I forgot but saves tons of time. Use INS for marking files instead of SPACEBAR -- why? SPACEBAR also calculates file sizes and when SPACEBAR on directory this could take a VERY long time if the directory is complex/deep/with many files. INS will not do this but will still mark file/directory :)

Moderator: Nice article, thank you! Sticked.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Very nice list, indeed!
Such user expirience can help a lot.
Thank you for starting this thread.

#4 THX for ALT+Fx+Dot , iam searching for this short cut.
#8 Don't you know Shift+F4 ? (only i wish to have an other standard file name then new.txt)

best regards
Stefan
Pleased user since v1.52        -   Licence# 0306-0046-01
KNUT

Re: Some productivity tips

Post by KNUT »

Here're my comments:
grymmjack wrote:#1 - Assign the SS shortcut a hotkey. [...] Allow only one instance of SS at a time. In this way you can use WIN+S to bring up SS at ANY time -- verycool!
I do _not_ use this, because with more SS instances I'm able to do different jobs / administer several projects at the same time!
#7 - Create hotpaths to C:\Documents and Settings and C:\Program Files. As much as you use these two paths, you need hotpaths to them for this reason. ALT+F1, 1, and you are at the profile docs+settings, ALT+F1, 2, and you are at program files, etc.
Hotpath to Desktop! So I'm very quick at my working place _and_ in my Windows-profile (C:\Documents and Settings\[MyProfileName]\Desktop)
#8 - Create new files without using context menu by using script below with touch.exe
And what's about SHIFT+F4?
#10 - Internal Viewer font: set it to 9pt Terminal -- this is a font that can display all the text as DOS. Using dark background with light foreground emulates good old DOS :)
I use the wonderful "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" at 9 pt.
* Hide "strange" files with the filter: "|*.bak;*.old;*.tmp;*.wbk;Thumbs.db"[/quote]
* Yellow background for Folders (Configuration -> Colors)
* Best Alternate Viewer for HTML-files is the internal viewer
* Best Alternate Viewer for TXT-files is the internal database viewer
* UNZIP all ZIP-files in the current directory with InfoZIP (See my post)
* Add the Filter button to both panel toolbars: Only three mouse-clicks to use the filter
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by grymmjack »

Stefan wrote:Very nice list, indeed!
Such user expirience can help a lot.
Thank you for starting this thread.

#4 THX for ALT+Fx+Dot , iam searching for this short cut.
#8 Don't you know Shift+F4 ? (only i wish to have an other standard file name then new.txt)

best regards
No I didn't know SHIFT+F4 :) I didn't even think to look for it. Could have used this information before rolling that vbscript hack ;)

grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

KNUT wrote:Here're my comments:
grymmjack wrote:#1 - Assign the SS shortcut a hotkey. [...] Allow only one instance of SS at a time. In this way you can use WIN+S to bring up SS at ANY time -- verycool!
I do _not_ use this, because with more SS instances I'm able to do different jobs / administer several projects at the same time!
Hotpath to Desktop! So I'm very quick at my working place _and_ in my Windows-profile (C:\Documents and Settings\[MyProfileName]\Desktop)
#8 - Create new files without using context menu by using script below with touch.exe
And what's about SHIFT+F4?
I use the wonderful "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" at 9 pt.
* Hide "strange" files with the filter: "|*.bak;*.old;*.tmp;*.wbk;Thumbs.db"
* Yellow background for Folders (Configuration -> Colors)
* Best Alternate Viewer for HTML-files is the internal viewer
* Best Alternate Viewer for TXT-files is the internal database viewer
* UNZIP all ZIP-files in the current directory with InfoZIP (See my post)
* Add the Filter button to both panel toolbars: Only three mouse-clicks to use the filter[/quote]

#1 - Wonderful idea. It's amazing how much we use a program without changing the way we work. I always was a 1-at-a-time type of guy, but I can see how this would be very useful (multiple instances) if I was doing several things at the same time. What I wind up doing is pathing/jumping around instead while I multitask. Which is definitely slower than multiple instances.

#7 - Good idea and cd.. from this is going to solve the Documents and Settings part as well. I never got into the "desktop" usage as much as I should have. I come from oldschool DOS land :) I know it's a problem of my own and I should take advantage but I just hate clutter. I think I have many issues :) I hide the icons on my desktop and use it only by proxy of the explorer toolbar (which is hidden sans it's title and the little arrow to access the contents -- where I only venture if I need to empty recycle bin). I have seen others use the desktop on a project basis. Where they clear off all things, use it as a working area, and so on. I think this is what it was designed for I just can't get it in my skull that I should do it :)

#8 - I didn't know about this, and it's great :)

#10 - Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is also good, but it doesn't support the upper ascii register as well as terminal (there are gaps and such that are unsightly). For most people this isn't an issue, but for me, an artist who still draws textmode artwork and so on, it is an issue. I use Vera Sans Mono for coding :) It's an excellent programming font. So is Consolas (it's a vista font).

Yellow background for folders could be interesting :). I have a very homogenous and dark theme on my SS. Yellow folder backgrounds may be cool. I sort folders to the top in my options, and sort files by extension ascending. Which helps put all folders at the very top of the list.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

grymmjack wrote:#3 - Use key searching in the lists. Lets say I want to find a file I downloaded off the web that is named "ZipTools.exe", (firefox downloads all files without asking to D:\ (downloads remember from step #2). Simple, swap to SS WIN+SS, SHIFT+D, type 'z' lowercase no shift, and first file starting with z is jumped to/selected, type 'i', and files named 'zi' are shown. So there it is selected ZipTools.exe, ready for whatever else is next.
During mentioned Quick Search you could use simple regular expression. For example I have following files in one directory:
SALAMAND.CPP
SALAMAND.H
SALAMAND.RC
SALAMAND.RH
and I'm looking for SALAMAND.RC. Just type S/RC. The / (or \) means any character or string. More information: http://www.altap.cz/salamander/help/sal ... k_qsearch/
grymmjack wrote:#12 - Copy paste paths quickly - Right click panel toolbar area, choose "Directory Line", now venture to a deep path, now hover mouse over each directory in path and right click and choose Copy to Clipboard! ;) The same functionality for files? No problem. Highlight your file and choose F2, CTRL+C, ESC. Filename now on clipboard. Want all highlighted files? Easy. Highlight files (INS, INS, INS, INS), CTRL+M, set dialog to this: destination: Clipboard, Line: $(FileName)$(CRLF), done. Of course you can modify Line: to be whatever you like with handy macros/variables picked from the chevron menu (the right pointing arrow to the right of line textbox).
Other ways to copy names to the Clipboard:
Edit > Copy * as Text functions family for one (focused) name.
Edit > Advanced > Save Selection for selected names.
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 19 Jan 2006, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
grymmjack wrote:#12 - Copy paste paths quickly - Right click panel toolbar area, choose "Directory Line", now venture to a deep path, now hover mouse over each directory in path and right click and choose Copy to Clipboard! ;) The same functionality for files? No problem. Highlight your file and choose F2, CTRL+C, ESC. Filename now on clipboard. Want all highlighted files? Easy. Highlight files (INS, INS, INS, INS), CTRL+M, set dialog to this: destination: Clipboard, Line: $(FileName)$(CRLF), done. Of course you can modify Line: to be whatever you like with handy macros/variables picked from the chevron menu (the right pointing arrow to the right of line textbox).
:idea: Other ways to copy names to the Clipboard:
Edit > Copy * as Text functions family for one (focused) name.
Edit > Advanced > Save Selection for selected names.
Awesome, thanks. I see now why CTRL+M exists as well as the others. The Make File List is so flexible/helpful.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

They most shortcuts i use are:

F1 = to see a nice dialog box :)
F2 = rename
F3 = View
F4 = Edit
Shift+F4 = create new file (99,99% to create a new text file)
F5 = Copy
F6 = Move
F7 = create a new directory
F8 (delete) i wanna be able to disable, 'cus i hit it to often in the darkness for mistake
ALT+F1 or ALT+F2 = choose an other drive
Alt+3 and Alt+5 to change the view
/ from numpad of course = open a DOS-Box in the current folder
CtrlShift+F10 = Calculate directory size
Ctrl+F = Find dialog
+ from Numpad = selecte a group of files (most with *.* only)
- from Numpad = deselect a group of files (most with *.* only)
Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C and Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V of course
Backspace = go one folder up
Shift+Backspace = go to root of the drive (just discovert:)
Ctrl+Dot = use same folder as in other panel (just discovert:)

Till there is tapped working i use now and then two instances of SS.
Stefan
Pleased user since v1.52        -   Licence# 0306-0046-01
grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

Stefan wrote:They most shortcuts i use are:
Ctrl+Dot = use same folder as in other panel (just discovert:)
Awesome, didn't realize this one either, always pulled down the drive menu and chose '.'

Ctrl+dot assimilated into my brain :) Thanks.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Does anybody now a shortcut for "Open name in other panel"? :?:
Even great is ALT+F11 "List of opend files"(with action). Same as history in browser :shock:
Kind regards, KNUT
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

KNUT wrote:Does anybody now a shortcut for "Open name in other panel"? :?:
http://www.altap.cz/salamander/help/sal ... rinothpan/
Ctrl+Shift+Left
Ctrl+Shift+Right
Klettermaxe

Productivity tip for 'Compare Directories'

Post by Klettermaxe »

The 'Compare Directories' Command always selects files that are not present in the other panel.

If you do not want to have these files selected but simply want to know, which files, that are already present in both panels, have different content, you can use the following steps:

1) Activate the panel where you want to have your final selection
2) Commands - Compare Directories (all checkboxes unchecked)
3) Edit - Advanced - Hide Selected Names (note that the 'filter' icon appears in the directory line of the active panel)
4) Commands - Compare Directories ('Content' checked)
5) Edit - Advanced - Show Hidden Names
In this example now only files with different content are selected in the panel of step 1). The files that appear after step 5) are not selected.

If you have icons for these commands in a toolbar, the whole action is reduced to a few mouseclicks.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
KNUT wrote:Does anybody now a shortcut for "Open name in other panel"? :?:
http://www.altap.cz/salamander/help/sal ... rinothpan/
Ctrl+Shift+Left
Ctrl+Shift+Right
Wow - Thanks :P
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by omega »

Ctrl+Shift+Left
Ctrl+Shift+Right
Very handy indeed. I discoverd it works as long as you don't point the UpDir item in the active panel.
KNUT

SHIFT+F7 - Change directory: Really (unexpected) cool!

Post by KNUT »

Hi!
Do you know the power of SHIFT+F7 ("Change directory") :roll:
- simple: c:\windows = select a directory
- smart: c:\windows\explorer.exe = select a file
- cool: c:\windows\expl* = select the first matching file :shock:
Kind regards, KNUT