64 bit version?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
pvaldi

64 bit version?

Post by pvaldi »

With the Windows Vista on its way and 64 bit versions of Windows XP Professional (and Media Edition) and all new Intel's platforms supporting 64 bits (Intel EM64T), it looks like we are moving to a 64 bit computing. Any plans for Servant Salamander 64 bit edition?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we will implement the 64 bit support.

http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html#roadmap
"Provide 64-bit version to bypass WOW64 limitations."
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

.... please please please make this into next update. I'd even pay again for this feature. :)
Main disadvantage in 32bit version is the lack of certain shell extensions of 64bit software not appairing in the context menus.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Would you mind if PictView and WinSCP plugin will not be included in the x64 version of Salamander?

Both plugins are implemented in compilers that doesn't support x64 platform.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hm, i often use both plugins, if i could not use them it would be kind of disadvantage of course. I guess they can't run in 32bit mode when main prog is running @64, can't they? :)
Maybe make like a unsupported 64bit beta version, which registered ppl can use in the meantime if they want with some disadvantages of course. But if you can already compile the mainprog in 64 bit there should be no reason to hide it from us. :)
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Lazarus wrote:I guess they can't run in 32bit mode when main prog is running @64, can't they? :)
Inside the same process not. The (one of some) solution is to use another 32b process, with some IPC.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
daern

Post by daern »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Would you mind if PictView and WinSCP plugin will not be included in the x64 version of Salamander?

Both plugins are implemented in compilers that doesn't support x64 platform.
I have two separate and disttinct uses for AS:

1. Work - 64 bit native version would be useful, PictView not needed but WinSCP is critical for managing non-Windows servers. I would probably stick to the x86 build if WinSCP wasn't included.

2. Home - When I migrate my desktop to 64bit (not there yet), I would really need both plug-ins as I use them both frequently. Not having them would probably force me to stick to the 32bit version.

Hope this helps.

Daern
David

Yes for x64 version of AS

Post by David »

I wouldn't mind not having those plug-ins available in x64 version. At that point I can make a decision. Today I have no 64-bit (true 64-bit) option. Please, give 64-bit version of AS soon (with or without plug-ins).
ChronoDK

Re: 64 bit version?

Post by ChronoDK »

I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to the 64-bit version. A prerelease version without Pictview and WinSCP would be great! Just say if you need someone to help you alpha test :)

I just installed Windows 7 beta x64 version, and I really miss my right click access to Tortoise and UltraEdit. Access to the /etc folder would be nice too. I guess these things will be fixed in the x64 version?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

ChronoDK wrote:I just installed Windows 7 beta x64 version, and I really miss my right click access to Tortoise and UltraEdit. Access to the /etc folder would be nice too. I guess these things will be fixed in the x64 version?
Yes, exactly.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Just to remind you: You can use TortoiseSVN/TortoiseCVS/... in Altap Salamander without any problems by installing 32-bit and 64-bit versions at the same time. Altap Salamander (and other 32-bit applications) will use the 32-bit TortoiseSVN and rest of the system will use the 64-bit version. This is fully supported solution by both Microsoft and TortoiseXXX developers ;)

I'm not sure about UltraEdit. Try to install 32-bit version as well. I'm afraid it will run 32-bit versions of UltraEdit when started from Altap Salamander :( You can try to ask UltraEdit developers about the solution - they may have created 32-bit shell extension, which will run the 64-bit UltraEdit application ;)
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

Yay, this worked - found a way to add 32-bit right click thing with UltraEdit in it. Only problem remaining is networked drives losing the connection. They reconnect only if I open them in Explorer. Small problem though - I'm mostly happy now :D
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

ChronoDK wrote:Only problem remaining is networked drives losing the connection. They reconnect only if I open them in Explorer.
Could you please create a new thread (it probably doesn't belong here) and provide us more details regarding this problem?
daern

Post by daern »

I thought I'd give this thread a gentle nudge before it gets to its 3rd birthday :(

We've now migrated virtually every server in our infrastructure to x86_64. About 1/3 of our desktops are now 64bit and the other 2/3 will be rapidly moving away from 32 bit computing. Yet, here we all are, still on a 32 bit file manager... :cry:

Any updates at all on this? I love this product, but this is now causing me serious pain and forcing me, for the first time in many, many years, to have to find an alternative for managing certain aspects of our server environment... even (gasp!) Windows Explorer...

Thanks very much for the excellent product.

Daern
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will decide what to do as soon as 2.53 with language support will be released. Please vote here: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3597