64 bit version?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
vld

Re: 64 bit version?

Post by vld »

sure...here's an easy one for you. Install 7zip and let me know how your right click functions work within Salamander.
kbirger

Post by kbirger »

I found your post on that. that's actually 7Zip's fault. Here's an easy one. Install WinRAR, which does it right, and let me know how your right click function works. Also, iirc, 7zip worked fine for me (just don't like it).

TBH, you probably don't need it since you can just use the plugins.
Ether

Post by Ether »

The problem doesn't lie directly within Salamander, but in the way that Windows provides for it (WOW64). For a calculator, or mail client, or any other "dumb" application, it doesn't matter, but when you use a file manager (with a registry editor built in), you expect to have control over things and you hit the issues quite soon. Some of the most obvious:
  • File System Redirection: Windows doesn't show all the directories as they are on the disk; namely %systemroot%\system32 -> %systemroot%\syswow64.
  • Registry Redirection: HKLM\Software -> HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node.
  • DLLs: the DLLs loaded within a 32-bit application must be also 32-bit, thus none of 64-bit shell extensions (e.g. context menu handlers) are accessible in the application.
Ελληνικά rulez.
tody

Post by tody »

zarevak wrote:Just to remind you: You can use TortoiseSVN/TortoiseCVS/... in Altap Salamander without any problems by installing 32-bit and 64-bit versions at the same time. Altap Salamander (and other 32-bit applications) will use the 32-bit TortoiseSVN and rest of the system will use the 64-bit version. This is fully supported solution by both Microsoft and TortoiseXXX developers ;)
That's unfortunately not working for all TortoiseXXX products! In contrast to Tortoise SVN 32bit, TortoiseHG 32bit won't install on a 64bit system! :-(
Lazarus

Re:

Post by Lazarus »

Lazarus wrote:.... please please please make this into next update. I'd even pay again for this feature. :)
Ahhh, my prayers got attention, just looked here after long time. Thanks, god of Altap! :mrgreen:
Now stop arguing and take my money ... make that thing final. :D
Lazarus

Re: Re:

Post by Lazarus »

Lazarus wrote:
Lazarus wrote:.... please please please make this into next update. I'd even pay again for this feature. :)
Ahhh, my prayers got attention, just looked here after long time. Thanks, god of Altap! :mrgreen:
Now stop arguing and take my money ... make that thing final. :D
Now this took a long way, maybe my prayers would've been heared faster if i just believed in god. :wink:
Now i pray for a Linux version.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Jan Rysavy, could you please tell the difference between x86 and x64 versions of Altap Salamander in simple words and put it somewhere on this site written in big letters? :)

I was able to find only one paragraph about that here, but that was located quite deep in 'Support' section. I think that extending it and putting it closer to surface on 'Features' or 'Purchase' would be better, so everyone could just understand why there are two versions available and which one he or she should actually install.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Good idea. What about some x86/x64 FAQ directly on Download page?
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Yes, that would be nice!
Ether

Post by Ether »

While we're on the download page... It seems like the system requirements section is suggesting that Windows 2000 has a 64-bit version. :) I assume the mini-FAQ will resolve that.
Any PC running Microsoft Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, or 2000 (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yuriy wrote:Yes, that would be nice!
See http://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/

Ether, I ignored this fact to save some space :)
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Thanks, everything is clear now!