2.5 RC2 - mixed feelings

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Guest Nr. XYZ, the problem with Servant Salamander is: the project is TOO large for such company as ALTAP is. Try to open help from 2.5RC2, read it page by page. In fact the help is very minimal and partially underdocumented.

Yes, it is our problem we didn't manage to release final version earlier as we promised (throw away some features). We will change this with version 3.0. We are listening to our users, as you can see on this forum.

The language translation support is the last BIG task and we will do our best to finish it as soon as possible.

Post by Guest »

Good,

I will try to postpone orders for file managers as best as I can in order to buy XXX Salamander soonish ;)

Personally, I will stick with Salamander anyway, as it's my favorite one but a lot of guys im my company try to convince me to use FreeCommander instead, as it's freely available and stable without annoying popups.

Hopefully, I will be able to convince everyone here of the features Salamander offers and as long as the price isn't beyond reality, it might be a big order here! We will see.

Best of luck and regards,
Guest Nr. XYZ
daern

Post by daern »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Guest Nr. XYZ, the problem with Servant Salamander is: the project is TOO large for such company as ALTAP is. Try to open help from 2.5RC2, read it page by page. In fact the help is very minimal and partially underdocumented.

Yes, it is our problem we didn't manage to release final version earlier as we promised (throw away some features). We will change this with version 3.0. We are listening to our users, as you can see on this forum.

The language translation support is the last BIG task and we will do our best to finish it as soon as possible.
Thanks Jan. Sorry for stirring up a hornet's nest here!

I really appreciate your problems (I'm a software dev too) and I know it can be hard to get software out of the door. You've got a great package - easily the best file manager available for Windows - and I know that you are commited to this release.

BTW, Windows Vista goes gold later today. Microsoft have spent billions of dollars and several years developing the new UI in Vista and it's still nowhere near as good as SS. My copy of SS will, of course, follow me to Vista ;-)

Good luck and best wishes,

Daern
daern

Re: 2.5 RC2 - mixed feelings

Post by daern »

daern wrote:I'm pretty fed up now of expiring betas and RCs. 2.5 has been stable for ages and, while I appreciate the major work that's been done on the help system and FTP plugin, I don't actually use either of them, so for me the real "killer feature" of 2.5 will be the fact that I can install it without worrying about the beta expiry.
Damn it! After saying this, I've spent the whole of the last two weeks using the SFTP plugin.

*waves fist*

Damn you Altap and your much-too-useful software!

Daern
vygi

Re: 2.5 RC2 - mixed feelings

Post by vygi »

daern wrote:...for me the real "killer feature" of 2.5 will be the fact that I can install it without worrying about the beta expiry.
I can just second it!
I am using Servant Salamande a lot at work where I don't have administrator privileges on my machine so every time a beta expires I have to bother our system administrator to install a new version.

Some of new and not-yet-finally-implemented features are important to me and I am ready to wait... but I think that 2.5 is coming almost too slowly and too late to be really successful.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your brilliant software.