does workshop material exist?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Georgd

does workshop material exist?

Post by Georgd »

Good evening,

it is always some pain for me to see my friends, collegues and mates "utilizing" the Windows Explorer. When one of the group wants to copy me his pics of the last hiking trip, it taks sooo long to select only their own pics (as search "is so nasty to set up" and + followed by *joe* is not available to fetch Joe's pics but not Janes and Andys which are in the same dir). After clicking each relevant image manually (!) and finally copying, surprisingly (no warning) the USB stick is full and they have to look manually (!) what files were copied and which not to copy the rest on another stick. Oh my gosh! :evil: 10mins for something I need 2mins with Salamander! Yea, of course, they could a) use windows search b) check the free space in advance and c) split the set into two temp dirs and then copy, but, hey, is that comfortable?? No. But Salamander.

Well, of course I recommended Salamander but no one gave it a try; the functionallity is too overwhelming at the first glance. :? Thus I want to give a small workshop in the university, open to all interested people, to help with the first steps, to show what's possible, and for which tasks Salamander is a huge time saver. I want them to do eg. a batch rename with their usual tools and using their usual naming patterns while measuring the time. Then, I'll do the same renaming with Salamander and show that it's much quicker 8) (in case Salamander is slower, I'll file a bug report :wink: ).

Does anyone have such example tasks and presentation slides? For mass rename, i have already collected some, but for other stuff I din't find that good examples (=common task, required to do, really annoying in Explorer, very quick in Salamander, understandable for newbies).

Of course I need to motivate people to come, so I need some advertising (student union website, posters, maybe flyers, maybe 2min speech before lectures). For them, I plan to name some common tasks (people see it's relevant for them), show the steps needed in Explorer/Salamander and the time required in both (people see it's well worth taking the time for the workshop).

Does anyone have some posters or the like? Or some contrasting comparision Salamander<=>Explorer? Of course I had a look at http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/windows_explorer.html but that's not convincing enough for the average student (only 500 do IT, 8500 take non-technical programmes -- they'll never need a database viewer or a registry editor, but file operations).

Thanks for hints, Georg
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Georg, unfortunately we have no such examples. Do you intend work or this task? If I can help you with any information, free Servant Salamander licenses, anything else, I will. It would be NICE to have such tutorial on our web site.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Georg, unfortunately we have no such examples. Do you intend work or this task? If I can help you with any information, free Servant Salamander licenses, anything else, I will. It would be NICE to have such tutorial on our web site.
Yes, I intend to work on this task and will probably hold the workshop in the end of November. I'm not yet sure in which language I will create the materials, but will publish them for sure under a CC license allowing others to reuse it and you can put it on your website (in case you like it). Tanks for offering help - I will contact you when I need some :) Best regards, Georg
Using Salamander since v 1.52
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Georgd wrote:Yes, I intend to work on this task and will probably hold the workshop in the end of November. [...]
Georgd, good look!!! :)
Kind regards, KNUT

Re: does workshop material exist?

Post by Georgd »

Just to inform you: The workshop was fine, only a small audience so it was very interactive and I was able to adapt their individual needs :)
Using Salamander since v 1.52