Servand Salamander? Give me a break

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Scot

Servand Salamander? Give me a break

Post by Scot »

Why would anyone want to use this software when Total Commander has it all?

I've been watching this software for a year now and it's still so far behind that there just doesn't seem any point at all.

The only reason I keep my eye on it is because SS has some potential, but until you get a few modern features dialed in (anyone ever hear of tabs for example?) this software is about as good as a piece of gum on the bottom of my shoe.

Good luck with it, I'll check again in about six months.
omega

Post by omega »

If TC has it all then why bother to keep looking at SS? Be honest you love SS :)
KNUT

Re: Servand Salamander? Give me a break

Post by KNUT »

Scot wrote:Good luck with it, I'll check again in about six months.
So long - see you in april 2007 :P
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by phearinc »

Total Commander is clunky as hell. I'm a proud Servant Salamander user since the beginning, and have evangelized many a co-worker with its power.

Viva Servant Salamander!
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

phearinc wrote:Total Commander is clunky
:P very good! :P Yeah! :P That's the correct description!!!
ROTFL
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by mcleaver »

phearinc wrote:I'm a proud Servant Salamander user since the beginning, and have evangelized many a co-worker with its power.
I have also been using salamander for many years, but am getting very tired of spending the last four years using betas, which always seemed to run out when I need them most but don't have access to a (high-speed) Internet connection.
It strikes me that Servant Salamander is getting dangerously close to being orphan-ware.
regards

Martin
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we are tired too. But we cannot release SS 2.5 without documentation (almost done now, only FTP plugin and main SS help is missing, will be included in RC2) and without language translations.

Btw, Servant Salamander works even after expiration, do you know it?
Textor

Re: Servand Salamander? Give me a break

Post by Textor »

Scot wrote:Why would anyone want to use this software when Total Commander has it all?
I've been watching this software for a year now and it's still so far behind that there just doesn't seem any point at all.
Good luck with it, I'll check again in about six months.
As a long time registered user of Servant Salamander, I'd say:
how much of a problem is it really, if the final version of 2.5 takes longer than expected?

The release candidates work well enough for everyday use.

The only missing feature that gets in the way occassionally is the help file, to look up details of rarely used functions or plug-ins.

Other than that, SS using 2.5 RCs is fine with me. I don't mind waiting.

If development takes too long for your taste, maybe a generous donation to Altap could help to speed things up? :roll:

BTW, if you really want a freeware substitute for SS, FreeCommander may be a better choice than Total Commander, though it is still nowhere near as powerful:
http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm
zxspectrum

Post by zxspectrum »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Yes, we are tired too. But we cannot release SS 2.5 without documentation (almost done now, only FTP plugin and main SS help is missing, will be included in RC2) and without language translations.

Btw, Servant Salamander works even after expiration, do you know it?
Oh...Come On,like users of such kind of software really need personalized translations...;).
I would suggest a Poll,something like this:What would you like most:
1. Personalized translations
2. Features on the roadmap

Regards
rebb

Post by rebb »

I will pick SS over Total Commander any day, simply because it looks better and has a nicer feel to its usability overall, imo.
Total Commander just makes my eyes fall out from all the Bold Fonts and [Brackets] that are utterly [-useless-] and which show that it's Visuals were "designed" by a Programmer.

Go Altap ! Don't be tired :).

Personally i don't really care for things like FTP, there are FTP Programs for this. Tabs would be nice tho ;).

Post by Guest »

You can change the TC fonts & icons to whatever you want. TC is very customizable.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

2rebb
You can hide brackets around directories. Set in wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

DirBrackets=1
:D

Post by Guest »

DirBrackets=0 sorry :?
Just another SS user

Post by Just another SS user »

mcleaver wrote: I have also been using salamander for many years, but am getting very tired of spending the last four years using betas, which always seemed to run out when I need them most but don't have access to a (high-speed) Internet connection.
It strikes me that Servant Salamander is getting dangerously close to being orphan-ware.
regards

Martin

I'd second that! Using countless betas for the last few years has been extremely annoying. As a paying customer I want a definitive version which does not run out of juice every other month. I don't give a crap about docs. I think you should listen to your users and release a version without docs, when the .chm is ready just put it on the website for those who need it to d/l. My 5c...

Cheers!
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

Just another SS user wrote: ... Using countless betas for the last few years has been extremely annoying. As a paying customer I want a definitive version which does not run out of juice every other month. ...
ALTAP Roadmap:
Other tasks
* After version 2.5 we will use date-driven release model with one year period.