Rough timeframe for the next Update ?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
rebb

Rough timeframe for the next Update ?

Post by rebb »

Just wondering if there is a rough timeframe for when the next Update for Servant Salamander will come :).
SvA

Post by SvA »

Please, have a look at the download page.

From experience: Do not expect it to be published substantialy before the dead line.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will release Servant Salamander 2.5 RC2 next month.
We hope the help system will be finished or nearly finished,
it is very, very big piece of work for us (several months).

Downside: it would be almost unreal to translate whole help
to other languages :( We will release English and Czech
versions of help. I hope there will be German version
sometimes, but unfortunately we don't speak German.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Jan Rysavy wrote: I hope there will be German version
sometimes, but unfortunately we don't speak German.
Maybe a "getting started guide" and "productivity tips" may be provided in German, so Germans unable to understand English get the most import infos in good language quality. The help may offer a button "translate this page using a web service", then Salamander asks an ALTAP server for the web service URL and the user gets a translation side by side to the EN version (helping to clear out ambigously translated parts). I never translated EN to DE, but RU to EN is almost flawless so EN=>DE shall be understandable.

A wiki based translation project may work for the first release, but it's going to be difficult to ensure that everything is translated correctly and to keep it up to date (=what changed in the EN version?).

my 2 cents. /Georg
Using Salamander since v 1.52