Prompt for Credentials on Network Connect

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SvA

Prompt for Credentials on Network Connect

Post by SvA »

Salamander should ask for credentials before giving up on establishing a connection to a network share, if the reason of failure is related to credentials.
Zwischenablage01.png
Zwischenablage01.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Now Salamander tries to connect:
Zwischenablage02.png
Zwischenablage02.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Salamander errors out: (The error reads: Username could not be found)
Zwischenablage03.png
Zwischenablage03.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
There never was a prompt for credentials. On clicking Ok, we're back at the Change Directory dialog.
The share is on a AVM FRITZ!Box, a linux based DSL Router.
After entering

Code: Select all

C:\TEMP>net use \\fritz.box\fritz.nas /user:XXXX
Geben Sie das Kennwort für "XXXX" ein, um eine Verbindung mit "fritz.box" herzustellen:
Der Befehl wurde erfolgreich ausgeführt.
Change Directory succeeds.

Windows Explorer (Wondows 7), fails to connect with an "unknown error", net use without the /user: option failes with the same error code as Salamander.
For this reason, I would even consider the ability to use the "Connect Netword Drive..." dialog to connect without assigning a drive letter to be a solution.
SelfMan

Re: Prompt for Credentials on Network Connect

Post by SelfMan »

When you hit F12, are there any connections in the list?
SvA

Post by SvA »

Hi SelfMan,

yes, I do. Those are connections to shares on domain servers.

Why do you ask about it? Do you think it makes it reasonable to not ask me for credentials?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

More that the credentials are already cached or a connection with different credentials is already established.
How are you running Salamander? in user mode or as administrator?
What happens if you (just for testing) close all the network connections.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Your questions are beside the point, in my humble opinion. The point is, I would like to get a chance to provide credentials rather that just getting a failure message, which, by the way, in typical Windows manner, does not provide any useful information. What user name cannot be found and where has the system been looking for it?

But let's say, that's reasonable behavior. Where can I tell the system, what credentials to use, given I don't want to assign a drive letter? Is this really such an unusual case that no other means than the command line exists for this?

And just to be clear: my rant is not against Salamander. I do not blame the developers to do things the same way as Windows does. Usually that's what peoeple expect, and it's always a good idea to not surprise users, unless it's a definitely good surprise. But I use Salamander to make up for all those decisions Microsoft makes that impair my user experience when it comes to file management. And so I asked for that feature.

Of course, if there is a way to provide those credentials, I'd like to learn about it.

To answer your questions:
- It would take some time, before I was able to terminate all connections (those listed with net use) and try to connect to the router's share then.
- I am a member of the local administrators group. UAC is turned off, so, all programs run do so with elevated privileges.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Look, I am trying to help. So please stick to the topic and simply answer my questions.
Usually if credentials are not valid, salamander prompts for new ones. The only reason shy it does not prompt you is that some credentials are stored in your credentials store. This might happen when you are using Microsoft Outlook with Exchange and the ActiveSync connector with different credentials.

Go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\Credential Manager and check for stored credentials.

Yoy might already be logged in on the server with an account which is authenticated but has no access rights to the specific resource you are trying to access.