File list export in Find Files & Directories, as a feature

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
training

File list export in Find Files & Directories, as a feature

Post by training »

Altap Salamander is a great and very complete tool. However, today I had to do a very detailed analysis of multiple attributes in all files matching certain criteria inside a deep folder structure, and Salamander could not export the file info I needed.

Honestly, I expected that Salamander would have an easy and powerful way to export all the file names and paths found in a Find Files & Directories operation (Alt+F7), recursively and with the attributes I needed (name, path, file creation date, file modification date, file access date, attribute flags...). However, that option is not available as a regular feature or plugin.

Yes, I read the trick in http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... ist+export, and it may make the job, but this trick is available only to the few people that find that post and even if they find it, it is not easy to build the right query. I don't think that many users know the user menu feature well enough to notice that it may do the work if they are not wise enough to find that particular post.

I would recommend that you consider implementing something like the File Lister app you can find at http://www.snakebytestudios.com/content.php?type=app but linked to your search results. The funny thing is that their tool description says literally that "This app was born out of my frustration with Servant Salamander's half-assed file list utility that wouldn't traverse subdirectories."

Looking at the number of queries in your forum on that topic, and considering that even these guys have implemented a solution to build that use case, I think it is important enough for you to consider its implementation. I would LOVE you do it!

Honestly, I think that all the flexibility that their tool provides is great. However, their limitation is that they can only apply it on one path. It would be great if you guys could implement a similar feature, but based on the results of a Find operation (Alt+F7). It would join your flexibility to define a very specific file set + their flexibility to export the resulting list of files and attributes in a very configurable way.

Of course, I don't mean that you should leverage their work literally but if you don't know the tool, I'd recommend you download and evaluate it. As I said, I envision their export flexibility on top of your advanced file find capabilities and the combination would be magnific. I think that all what they have in the bottom part of their window (starting with "Output format"), would be a perfect match for your Find results (Alt+F7) or even for whatever that you select on any of the two main panels if applied recursively.
training

Re: File list export in Find Files & Directories, as a featu

Post by training »

Any feedback on this proposal?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Currently, there are other features that are missing from Salamander and are top priority. The developers don't usually respond to other feature requests for the time being, unfortunately.
Ελληνικά rulez.
training

Post by training »

Ok. Understood, thanks.
fraktik

Post by fraktik »

I am finding out this feature missing more and more flustrating. And I am painfully aware of how much AS is staying behind TC in the race (support of new Win, unicode, tabs....) and I am just very sad.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

fraktik wrote:how much AS is staying behind TC in the race (support of new Win, unicode, tabs....) and I am just very sad.
OT: Does TC search on background or is it still modal dialog box? Does it report errors during Find operation (for example inaccessible directories)? Each software has some strengths.

Export from Altap Salamander Find dialog box would be nice to have.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

I would like to suggest adding a User Menu action, check http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2758#p29436. :idea:
Georgd

Re: File list export in Find Files & Directories, as a feature

Post by Georgd »

training wrote: 12 Dec 2014, 00:07 Yes, I read the trick in http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... ist+export, and it may make the job, but this trick is available only to the few people that find that post and even if they find it, it is not easy to build the right query.
+1

FYI, related posts with different solutions are:
Using Salamander since v 1.52