Use WinRAR instead of console application RAR

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
schroeder

Use WinRAR instead of console application RAR

Post by schroeder »

Hi,

Is there any way to NOT use salspawn.exe to call an external packer? I put "winrar.exe" (instead of console app "rar.exe") in as an external packer and it works nicely but Salamander also tries to spawn the packer in a console DOS window.

Schroeder
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Why do you want to use the winrar.exe (GUI application) instead of command line version rar.exe?
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I dont like the console window to pop up. :wink: Doesnt look as nice and integrated as the GUI window. Is there any disadvantage to that?

schroeder
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The GUI version of RAR (winrar.exe) is not supported by Servant Salamander. I have no idea if it is possible to use it instead of command line version.

Hint: try to look at 7-Zip plugin, it comes with native packer and unpacker (like ZIP plugin) and it is free of charge.

Another possibility is right click selected files and run WinRAR packer from context menu. Advantage: it will run on background.
thomas
Translator
Translator

Re: Use WinRAR instead of console application RAR

Post by thomas »

Is there really not a posibility to hide the console window of the salspawn.exe?
I've a full registered winrar version and I prefer the RAR pack format.
The winrar GUI runs perfectly but I don't like the console window in the background.
Sorry for the german screen shot! :(
Sorry for the german screen shot! :(
salspawn.png (18.59 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I will move this thread to the feature requests section, it looks reasonable...
Textor

Post by Textor »

schroeder wrote:Is there any way to NOT use salspawn.exe to call an external packer? I put "winrar.exe" (instead of console app "rar.exe") in as an external packer and it works nicely but Salamander also tries to spawn the packer in a console DOS window.
Honestly, I have been using Rar.exe for ages with Salamander's inbuilt support for external packers, and the only time I see a console window is when Rar.exe asks for the password of an encrypted archive. Which can be entirely avoided by calling WinRar.exe on such an archives from your user menu. If I use rar.exe with the Pack/Unpack-dialogs (Shift-F5/Shift-F9), no console windows show up during operations.

Here are the user menu definitions I use:
Command: C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
Arguments: "$(Name)"
Initial Directory: $(FullPath)
[ ] Execute through shell <---- Don't activate this option
Is this salspawn.exe program really necessary? Rar.exe runs very well without it, as far as I can tell. And WinRar.exe is a GUI applications that does not need a console at all.