Hint with full filename when column is too narrow

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
bebe

Hint with full filename when column is too narrow

Post by bebe »

When in detailed mode (e.g.) and long filenames are present in directory, I'd like to have information on whole filename without doing any additional action (incl. not focusing the file)

:idea: So, my idea is there could be a hint with whole filename (maybe also other info?!) when hovering mouse over the "filerow".
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

If you press Ctrl+N, the filename colum will expand to be wide enough for the longest filename in opened directory.
SS doesn't support the standart Windows behaviour to show tooltip for very long names :(
bebe

Post by bebe »

Thanks, didn't know about Ctrl+N, but anyway I'd like to have this as hint (in case the keyboard is not in reach :roll:)
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Just a remark: you can add toolbar button to toggle this behavior or use RightClick on Filename column header. The item name is Smart Column Mode
-> all with mouse 8) , but I second your request for tooltip ;)
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

+1 for tool-tip with full name. But only if the tool-tip only comes up if the filename is truncated.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Tomcat wrote:+1 for tool-tip with full name. But only if the tool-tip only comes up if the filename is truncated.
Dito. And delay needs to be rather high or configurable.
Tooltips

+1 for tooltips, and more info than just full names in them

Post by Tooltips »

I think SS should use tooltips for much more than just names which do not fit. I am trying to add keywords/comments to photos and videos using Windows built in properties dialog, and SS never displays them as windows does (i.e. as tooltips!)

I think SS never displays any tooltip anyway... except of course the ones which apply to its own interface. It would be nice to have no less featured tooltips than the usual Windows explorer!