Viewers Improvements

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Yuriy

Viewers Improvements

Post by Yuriy »

While the Roadmap for Salamander 3.* looks promising, especially with the long-awaited Unicode support, there are other useful features that could be added.
It just does not feel right that Total Commander has most of those features, and Altap Salamander does not :(
For me that mostly concerns plugin viewers:
  • MMViewer - there are many types of files not supported now: *.m4a, *.mov, *.mp4. *.avi, *.wmv, *.mpg etc. At least some of them are covered by Audio Tag for Total Commander (flac, ogg, m4a, m4r, ape).
  • IEViewer - mostly works OK, but when opening some files, especially *.mht with a lot of pictures and/or scripts, it gives just too many error boxes that has to be closed manually. Also, some *.xml could not opened telling about unrecognizable format.
  • PE Viewer - does not seem to be very useful now. There is a thread that tells how this could be improved - I totally agree!
  • Eroiica Viewer - now, that's the most useful plugin - and still the most troublesome! Even older *.doc and *.pdf files are shown with errors, and there is no support neither for *.docx/*.xlsx nor for the 64-bit version. And viewing some *xps just crashes Salamander as I have already reported. As I have understand, the developers are not even sure if a 64-bit version is actually possible, although it is on the roadmap. Maybe it would be easier to replace it completely? If Oracle Outside In is too expensive, maybe there are other options? For example, I am now using sLister plugin based on SumatraPDF - works great with *.pdf, *.xps and *djvu! Any way to make it a native plugin and include it with future Altap Salamader versions? SumatraPDF is free, as far as I know.
  • Some other file types I wish to have a viewer for are fonts (*.ttf, *.otf, *.fon) - there is a plugin for Total Commander that works just great through TCProxy, and *.lnk (there is a plugin as well, but it does not work for me)
Well, I hope at least some of it could actually be realized!
Last edited by Yuriy on 28 May 2014, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Viewers Improvements

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Note: PE Viewer is very useful for Windows developers. File headers, import table, export table, etc. We are using it for years on daily basis.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Ah, that makes sense. I am not a developer, just a plain user :)
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

A couple of more wishes concerning the available native plugins:
  • PictView - again, one of the best and most useful plugins, thanks! I could think only of *.svg format not supported by this viewer - maybe it would be possible to add it?
  • CheckVer - a little one, and seldom used as this Forum has more fresh information :) However, this plugin somehow shows version 2.54 as 'old or installed modules', while I only have 3.01 for now...
  • FileComp - well, I have only recently discovered that there is such a nice plugin bundled with Salamader (as well as DiskCopy!), and I was using extra software for quite some time already :lol: Compared to WinMerge I was using before, there is one useful little feature missing - an ability to select one or more line of difference and copy it to another file being compared - that is, making it not only differencing but merging tool as well.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Jan Rysavy, I think that's different problem - McLion had 3.0 installed and the plugin did not show 3.01 as already available for him.
I have 3.01 installed, so no new modules are detected (which is correct), but the plugin still says I have 2.54 installed (which is incorrect).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We don't want to push information about 3.x release to 2.54 users until we will be able to accept direct credit card payments.

However, we can push information about Altap Salamander 3.02 (will be released in a few hours) to 3.0 and 3.01 users.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Btw, you should post one suggestion per report, see description on http://forum.altap.cz/ - we wouldn't talk about CheckVer problems in Viewers Improvements thread now.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Sorry, I won't bother you any more here.
But could you please at least tell if some of those improvements are actually possible.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Please don't get me wrong, we are glad for any feedback, requests, or ideas. Just need to keep this forum usable :)

We are focusing on most requested features, it depends on feedback we receive here and it is reason why each issue should have own thread.