"Size on Disk" Request & Faster Folder Size Calculation

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
DavidDe

"Size on Disk" Request & Faster Folder Size Calculation

Post by DavidDe »

Dear Altap Salamander 2.54,

I believe that you have helped me to browse and do the file operations much easier than doing the same in Windows standard folder browsing. I believe you can calculate the size of folders faster than Windows properties window of the folder. In addition, I am expecting you to show me "Size on Disk" when I press Space on a compressed folder besides the normal size of the folder.

Thanks for being always better than Windows browsing approach,
Best,
Ether

Re: "Size on Disk" Request & Faster Folder Size Calculation

Post by Ether »

zFADxxx7 wrote:I believe you can calculate the size of folders faster than Windows properties window of the folder.
I think the speed is given by the speed of disk access. In theory, Salamander could give that information instantaneously if it precomputed it and stored it somewhere, but that would put an unnecessary load on the system.
zFADxxx7 wrote:I am expecting you to show me "Size on Disk" when I press Space on a compressed folder besides the normal size of the folder.
I don't think it should be related to pressing Space, but that depends... Anyway, how about an extra column in the listing that would show the "size on disk"?
Ελληνικά rulez.
DavidDe

Post by DavidDe »

By default folders in Salamander panels have DIR in the size column; so for me to obtain the total size of a folder I have to press Space key on that folder. As you said a new column namely "Size on Disk" can be added besides the existing Size column; but it seems it is still required to press Space to have Salamander calculate the folder size. It goes without saying that this is not the case for individual files in the panel.

Indeed, Windows currently does size calculation for folders much faster than the way Salamander does by pressing Space. Therefore despite of ease of Space use for size calculation I am preferring Right Click Option on the folder and use Windows folder properties window because it shows the size almost instantly. What I mean is that Altap Salamander v3 should optimize folder size calculation BECAUSE it is deseved to be better than Windows Explorer.
Ether

Post by Ether »

zFADxxx7 wrote:By default folders in Salamander panels have DIR in the size column; so for me to obtain the total size of a folder I have to press Space key on that folder. As you said a new column namely "Size on Disk" can be added besides the existing Size column; but it seems it is still required to press Space to have Salamander calculate the folder size.
I know. I was proposing the new column for your other request, not for this one.
zFADxxx7 wrote:Indeed, Windows currently does size calculation for folders much faster than the way Salamander does by pressing Space.
That's interesting, I've never observed any such difference in speed. Is Salamander consistently slower at calculating the size? Note that once the size of a directory is calculated in either program, some of the results are cached and the calculation will be faster next time in both programs. Which version of Salamander are you using?
Ελληνικά rulez.
DavidDe

Post by DavidDe »

Yes, I am proposing the same.
I will furnish you with comparative times taken by Windows and Salamander for those folder size calculations later in my free time.
Best,
therube

Post by therube »

> I think the speed is given by the speed of disk access...

It need not be, WizTree. They must be reading the MFT.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
DavidDe

Post by DavidDe »

WizTree is dramatically fast. Wish Salamander to be like that. Thanks therube.