Move/Copy single file/dir -> fill in original filename

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
rotvel

Move/Copy single file/dir -> fill in original filename

Post by rotvel »

When you copy of or move a single file or directory, it would be nice if Salamander filled in the original filename in the dialog.

Eg: if I'm moving "c:\test\my file.txt" to "k:\folder" the dialog should suggest "k:\folder\my file.txt" instead of "k:\folder\*.*".

This makes renaming while moving or copying much faster imho, while stile retaning the nice *.* functionality when moving more than one file or directory.
KNUT

Re: Move/Copy single file/dir -> fill in original filename

Post by KNUT »

rotvel wrote:When you copy of or move a single file or directory, it would be nice if Salamander filled in the original filename in the dialog.[...]
IMHO this would'nt be nice, because now I can simply renaming file(s) like "*_blabla.*".
Kind regards, KNUT
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

rotvel wrote:When you copy of or move a single file or directory, it would be nice if Salamander filled in the original filename in the dialog.
We added and then unfortunatelly had to remove this feature in some ancient version (I guess version 1.4 or 1.5). The problem with this enhancement is that if you copy "name" to target path where "name" is existing directory, the result of operation is surprising: it copies to that "name" directory in target path (and not to target path as expected).

We don't want to change processing of target path in this case to bypass described problem, so we try to survive without this feature. :)

We plan to add command for easy duplication of file/dir, e.g. Shift+F2 (or Shift+F5) key, where you have current file/dir name and can easily change it to name of duplicate (similar to Quick Rename - F2 key).
owilsky

Post by owilsky »

Petr Solin wrote:We plan to add command for easy duplication of file/dir, e.g. Shift+F2 (or Shift+F5) key, where you have current file/dir name and can easily change it to name of duplicate (similar to Quick Rename - F2 key).
I always use "Ctrl-C" - "Ctrl-V" to duplicate and then F2 to rename the duplicate. Works fine.
Oliver Kötter
david__watts

Post by david__watts »

Petr Solin wrote:
rotvel wrote:When you copy of or move a single file or directory, it would be nice if Salamander filled in the original filename in the dialog.
We added and then unfortunatelly had to remove this feature in some ancient version (I guess version 1.4 or 1.5). The problem with this enhancement is that if you copy "name" to target path where "name" is existing directory, the result of operation is surprising: it copies to that "name" directory in target path (and not to target path as expected).

We don't want to change processing of target path in this case to bypass described problem, so we try to survive without this feature. :)

We plan to add command for easy duplication of file/dir, e.g. Shift+F2 (or Shift+F5) key, where you have current file/dir name and can easily change it to name of duplicate (similar to Quick Rename - F2 key).
Why not make it as it is in Total Commander; only fill in the name if it is a file, not a directory?
That way i think it would also be easier to copy a file into a directory with the same name. You could just type "" after the filename.