symlink support

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mklhmnn

symlink support

Post by mklhmnn »

Most likely this RFE already has been requested, but I haven't found a thread.

Please provide support for creating symlinks on NTFS volumes, similar to the mklink tool. Thanks in advance.
mklhmnn

Re: symlink support

Post by mklhmnn »

Is there no one else interested in such a feature?
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

I found it! Plugins > Automation > Make Link already does it. :D
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

To make symbolic link/hard link/junction you can use the "Make Link" script for the Automation plugin. The script is installed by default and you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it through the Plugins Manager.
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

Unfortunately, it does not work on XP (mklink seems not available there). Beside that the dialog looks somehow strange layed out.
Attachments
make-link-dlg.png
make-link-dlg.png (7.8 KiB) Viewed 9345 times
therube

Post by therube »

mklink seems not available there
Correct.

Beside that the dialog looks somehow strange layed out
Wonder if that may not be theme or font size (scaling) related?
(Looks normal on my XP "classic".)

ln.exe or link.exe (found in gnuwin32, ...bin.zip) I would think (though not tested) would work.
You would have to adjust the .js script (certainly for the gnu version, possibly for the other).
(Don't know offhand if a Win7 mklink.exe runs on XP?)

Oh and Link Shell Extension (LSE) will give you a context menu option that should work from within Salamander.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Post by Ether »

Symlinks are not well supported under XP. According to the NTFS symlink Wikipedia article, symlinks were introduced with the NTFS revision shipped in Vista, so XP officially knows only junction points, which are a similar thing, but only for directories.

But, to keep things interesting, Windows XP's Explorer handles junction points really badly:
Wikipedia wrote:Deleting a junction point using Windows Explorer will delete the targeted files immediately if using shift-delete (Windows 2000/XP/2003). the command del myjunction should not be used – this will just delete all the files in the targeted directory. Deleting a junction point using Explorer is safe since Vista.
Ελληνικά rulez.
fraktik

Post by fraktik »

I remember I used symlinks even on WinXP, I used cmd commands, but did you try AS "run as administrator"?