Swap files/directories to compare

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SvA

Swap files/directories to compare

Post by SvA »

I have requested this before, but it's quite some while ago and was always when discussing other issues, so I thought I submit the request again, with some added thoughts and reasonings.

When comparing files or directories, it is usually helpful to set the file/directory that needs to be left and right (or top and bottem) expressively. When comparing items located in the two opposed panels, this is usually no problem, because the panels need usually the same placement. But when comparing items from the same panel, the sort order determines, which is the primary and which the secondary item in the comperator, which often has no correlation.

Some file compare tools allow to swap the placement of files, but none of the ones I use offer this service for folders.

So, please offer an option to swap the two files or directories in the 'Compare Files', 'Choose Files to Compare' and 'Choose Directories to Compare' dialogs.

For reference, here my previous requests, the 2nd one with some additional wishes which I still consider good to have:
Re: File Compare
Re: Filecompare Plug-In: Use selected file by default
therube

Re: Swap files/directories to compare

Post by therube »

Oh, you mean this, File Comparator - Swap Panels.
Yes that would be nice.

And at the time it looks like I was mixing this & that so lets try again:

Was:
therube wrote:File Comparator (Ctrl+Shift+U) - Swap Panels

File Comparator should be able to Swap Panels the same way that can be done in Salamander (Ctrl+U).
Now:
therube wrote:File Comparator (Ctrl+Shift+C).
RFE for the ability to Swap Panels in File Comparator.

File Comparator should be able to Swap Panels the same way that can be done in Salamander (Ctrl+U).
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Post by Ether »

Ctrl+U would be nice.
Ελληνικά rulez.
SvA

Post by SvA »

therube wrote:File Comparator (Ctrl+Shift+U) - Swap Panels
Well, that was nice too, but swapping the arguments before the comparator is launched solves the issue for the internal, as well as external comparators.

One does not rule out the other.