Quick search for filename in subfolders

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
azaz44

Quick search for filename in subfolders

Post by azaz44 »

I would love such feature. I do it a lot - I know my file name, I know where it is in subfolder structure and I have to navigate to it through five subfolders - dev / src / something / something / something / here it is. I would be way faster, if I would type the name of it and let AS search for it. Have I mentioned I have a blazing fast SSD drive? ;) Good for searching.

What is possible currently, is Alt+F7 -> type in file name -> Enter -> space bare [called "Focus"]. But it leaves the search window in background. I would end up with twenty of them at the end of the day. Plus pressing "Alt+F7" does not really count as "quick", that does count as "advanced function".

So the feature request would be to either (1) improve Alt+F7 so it doesn't leave this window in background, (2) make it a new different way. Possibly I could use normal search (just start typing the file name) and then press the magic Ctrl+something and it searches in subfolders.

Or (3) redesigning the whole advanced search, to make it better and more integrated with AS.

Obviously it is lower priority than getting AS3 ready.
Cheers..
therube

Re: Quick search for filename in subfolders

Post by therube »

My work-around is to use Everything.

I've setup shortcut keys; F5 to copy path, F6 to copy full name (path+name), to the clipboard.
Then I Shift+INS in Salamander.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

I'm not sure how this tool works in details, but it doesn't sound like an improvement over alt+F7 to me...
Kris

Post by Kris »

Azaz44, I am with you on this one, when pressing space to get focus, then the seach menu should close.
If one want to search again, one will simple press [Alt]+F7, that's it!

Regards,
Kris
Ether

Post by Ether »

azaz44 wrote:pressing "Alt+F7" does not really count as "quick", that does count as "advanced function"
Try Ctrl+F, it's shorter.

As for hiding the window after pressing Focus, I sometimes end up with several used and unneeded Find windows, but most of the time I want those windows to stay there to indicate that I still wanted to do something with the search results. Also, how would the proposed behavior work with multiple simultaneous searches?
Ελληνικά rulez.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

Ether wrote:
azaz44 wrote:pressing "Alt+F7" does not really count as "quick", that does count as "advanced function"
Try Ctrl+F, it's shorter.

As for hiding the window after pressing Focus, I sometimes end up with several used and unneeded Find windows, but most of the time I want those windows to stay there to indicate that I still wanted to do something with the search results. Also, how would the proposed behavior work with multiple simultaneous searches?
Great point with Ctrl+F, thanks a lot. This will make my work so much easier.

About hiding - these are just two things which are a little bit different -> searching for files vs navigating to a single file / folder. I think the solution can be as easy as adding Ctrl+Space = Focus & Close, or something similar. For me it doesn't sound that great like having some "more built-in" function, which doesn't open a new windows, but would work and should be easy to do.
SvA

Post by SvA »

My approach too this would once again be my beloved flat folder view. Of course without doing a search first and committing results to a panel, but simply switching to a flat view with the current directory as root. Then, the familiar QuickSearch would do the rest.