A process list

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
sm7oMec

A process list

Post by sm7oMec »

hi there,
It would be usefull to have process list as plugin in the Servant salamander. It would show the process tree... the implementation may vary but it would be handy dandy.

see ya

Pat
KNUT

Process list

Post by KNUT »

I use Process Explorer vom http:///www.sysinternals.com via autostart. No need for a plug-in 8)
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by omega »

Process viewer isn't related to filemanagers and there are good process viewers out there. Unless someone will make this once SDK is released but i'm not waiting for this :)
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

Process Explorer (1.5 MB) as KNUT mention is the non plus ultra of course.

BUT if you want a little app for your "user menu"
(special for USB-Stick use)
check out

ProcessMate (by Weird) ~30kB
ProcessMate lists all active processes and is able to kill any of them.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... Mate.shtml

or
CurrProcess (from Nir Sofer) ~30kB
CurrProcess utility displays the list of all processes currently running on your system.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cprocess.html

there are more nifty tools at NirSoft

WinLister
This utility displays the list of opened windows on your system.

OpenedFilesView
OpenedFilesView displays the list of all opened files on your system.

HTH U as work around ?

---
Edit:
i have forgotten PrcView ~350kB +400kB DLLs
http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm

Thanks for the idea!
I integrate such an tool now in MY user menu (have allways fighted with windows own tools on pc of friends, that is now over! :lol: )

Hmm, what should i choose ?
:roll: * CurrProcess have an better report, even for an single file (i.e. more detailed)

:roll: * PrcView has an process tree and an overview of autostarts, and an "search Google"- feature, what is very handy.

:roll: * ProcessMate has an brief view and better kill support (if the promise of the author is true)

How knows other process view/kill tools?
Best would be -non install - non registry setting storing - small in size - nifty in functions integrated
AbteriX
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

If Salamander simply supported Total Commander plugins, many requests for enhancement made in this forum (including process exploring) would be instantly accommodated...

There are so many excellent and useful plugins available for Total Commander it seems quite foolish to waste time and energy "re-inventing the wheel"!

To see what's available in that world, you could go to a third party site that hosts most of the plugins I use with TC:

http://www.totalcmd.net/

An amazing list of useful plugins, wouldn't you agree?
Mouse-centric, Registered
Mem

Post by Mem »

JohnFredC wrote:An amazing list of useful plugins, wouldn't you agree?
And I am afraid it's the only thing we can agree with ;-)

TC and SS APIs are IMHO SO different it would be impossible to write proxy API for SS to emulate even small subset of TC.

And last but not least - I am not sure how would TC team be happy if their competitor uses their plugin base.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

AbteriX wrote:Process Explorer (1.5 MB) as KNUT mention is the non plus ultra of course.
BUT if you want a little app for your "user menu" (special for USB-Stick use) check out [...]
The only disadvantage of "Process Explorer" is the size :lol: But on my USB-stick is enough space left for this very handy and powerful tool :P
AbteriX wrote:Hmm, what should i choose ?
So my conclusion: Process Explorer :D
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by JohnFredC »

Mem wrote:TC and SS APIs are IMHO SO different it would be impossible to write proxy API for SS to emulate even small subset of TC.
Not having seen the Salamander Plugin API (where could someone find it?), I can't comment on that. Perhaps a "shell" plugin that hosted TC plugins would be possible. The TC Lister plugins are particularly easy to write.
Mem wrote:And last but not least - I am not sure how would TC team be happy if their competitor uses their plugin base.
The TC "team" is one guy. Plus, the plugins are written primarily by the users themselves and are mostly free to acquire and use.... have been that way for years. A couple of competitor commanders already claim support for them (though I haven't verified that they succeed).

It just seems that supporting such a large base of pre-existing plugins would free the Salamander team to focus on the other things requested here while greatly enhancing Salamander functionality in one step.

The length of the beta periods suggests that the AltAp team doesn't have the resources to address all of the possible needs out there, even though the core Salamander product is superior to others (including TC) in many ways.

To be honest, certain philosophies of gui implementation aside, the ONLY thing that sets TC above Salamander is its plugin architecture. TCs support for lister, file system, packer, and content (custom column) plugins is the main reason it has remained competitive in the face of the much more sophisticated interfaces offered by its competitors.

There's a lesson in that.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

JohnFredC wrote:[...]the ONLY thing that sets TC above Salamander is its plugin architecture. [...]
Yep - that's the point. the one and only :x
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by JohnFredC »

Well now Knut, let's not get blindly carried away! :wink:

Yes the Salamander core is very very solid and I like it for most of my casual file management, but TC and other commanders already have for a long time many of the things requested here: user configurable menu items and toolbar buttons, drag and drop to tool bars, folder tabs, hierarchical favorites maintenance, scripting... not to mention the plugin stuff like editors and viewers and file systems etc etc.

Some of those functions are so useful and offer such productivity gains for file management that using a tool with less functionality, regardless that it may be very nicely and robustly implemented, makes less and less sense to me.

For instance, TC already has the Process Explorer plugin requested by sm7oMec. I keep it in a locked tab on the left panel for nearly instant access.

What I meant originally was that "in principle" TC's only advantage is the plugin architecture. But from the point of view of implementation... well: at the current rate of development, it will take Salamander a long time just to catch up, much less move ahead. The competition (TC is just one of an increasingly noisy crowd) is aggressive.

This is not a slight against Salamander... it's a great tool, very pleasing to use, and because of that I will continue to employ it for tasks which do not require the features it misses. But until it does have those features, I'll have to keep using some other commanders, too! :cry:
omega

Post by omega »

It's true that TC has a huge collection of plugins, but it isn't always the answer or the best tools around. Which is why we always use external programs and put it in SS :)

We'll just have to wait once SDK is released and hope many wonderful plugins will pop up.