Third Panel?

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Zizo

Third Panel?

Post by Zizo »

Three Panels
Three Panels
Untitled.png (215.91 KiB) Viewed 9317 times
Hello there...
I feel a little weird saying this but can there be a third panel in Salamander or as many as you want?
I work mostly on graphics/videos and stuff... Sometimes I wish I had a third panel in AS...
I know it's easy to navigate through some folder and back via the latest hot paths but.........

I'm not saying it should be there by default. It would look alien to me too. But it would be great if I had the option to put a third panel in there and be able to resize it in (100% / 3).
I have a quite big wide screen and I could fit even 4 panels in there. And my work could be much easier.

Couldn't resist for the pic...
What you waiting for?
SelfMan

Re: Third Panel?

Post by SelfMan »

Tabs were requested many times. At the moment other things like x64 and uAC support have a higher priority.
Zizo

Post by Zizo »

oh ok sorry... I saw about tabs and didn't think it was this.
yup sounds something alike
What you waiting for?
SvA

Post by SvA »

I don't think having more than two panels and having tabs would serve the same purpose entirely. I can see some merit in having a third or more panels when comparing or organizing files.
However, such a layout was useful only using drag'n'drop/copy'n'paste manor of working and caused a major disorder as any operations involving source and destination activated through keyboard or menus are designed to work with active panel as source and other panel as destination. Which one is the "other" panel when there are more than two in total?

I suggest using more than one Salamander Windows for now.
Ether

Post by Ether »

I remember someone requesting the same three-panel layout a long time ago. They said the middle panel would be the target panel for both other panels and I guess it wouldn't be able to be the source panel for any operation.

EDIT] Found the topic: Possibility of a third panel [cs]. Apparently, it was rejected by the developers.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Zizo

Post by Zizo »

Well let's see how life will go for the next year.
I can always bump this post up. They seem pretty busy with x64, unicode and stuff...
What you waiting for?
omega

Post by omega »

You can try Q-Dir