[Alt Gr] for Quick Search

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Josip Tosic

[Alt Gr] for Quick Search

Post by Josip Tosic »

Hi,
will you please implement modifier selection for Quick Search?

I use [Alt] to access menus and to switch 'tween column views. As Servant Salamander is now I have to hit [Ctrl]+[Tab] before typing in command line as just typing will do a quick search.

So, if we could use [Alt Gr] for Quick Search, [Alt] for menu access and column views switching we could have our "plain" typing auto-redirected to Command Line.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
KNUT

Re: [Alt Gr] for Quick Search

Post by KNUT »

Josip Tosic wrote:will you please implement modifier selection for Quick Search?[...]
NOPE! I _do_ like the way SS react! And SS do so from the beginning!
This is _your_ opinion / workflow, why adopt this for all users?
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by Mem »

KNUT wrote:
Josip Tosic wrote:will you please implement modifier selection for Quick Search?[...]
NOPE! I _do_ like the way SS react! And SS do so from the beginning!
Exactly! I hate WC/TC with default behaviour as described by Josip Tosic, I search for files all the time, if I need tu run something from commandline, I use Ctrl+Tab with no prob
SvA

Post by SvA »

Typing a file name for quick search while pressing a modifier key all the time? You must be kidding!

Ok, one could use that AltGr modifier to initiate the quick search only. (I don't know how WC does it, but I know I don't like how it does it. I am always struggeling with this when I am forced to use WC (because no SS is available; still prefereing WC to Windows Explorer)).

Since this could be added as a configurable option without breaking the way SS currently behaves I have no objections. However, I would not use it. I much prefere the way SS works now.
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

KNUT wrote:NOPE! I _do_ like the way SS react! And SS do so from the beginning!
This is _your_ opinion / workflow, why adopt this for all users?
Yes, I know it's my opinion...

I wouldn't dream of enforcing my way of working on other users; hence the "modifier selection" (my emphasis) in my request. Users could select the behavior they want via drop down menus (or radio buttons), obviously.

The way things now I can either give up on [Alt] for menu access/column view selection or always use [Ctrl]+[Tab] to switch to command line... I'm slowly getting used to the idea since I certainly use quick search more than I use the command line but...
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed