Tabbed Panels

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
DuncanG

Tabbed Panels

Post by DuncanG »

Please can we have Tabbed Panels?

I've been using AS2 for quite a few years so I don't mind paying for the AS3 upgrade, but _only_ if it gives me tabbed panels.
Wizzard

Re: Tabbed Panels

Post by Wizzard »

If you want the tabbed panels, use Linux and Krusader file manager, it looks almost like Salamander and it is free :)
Ether

Post by Ether »

Tabs are "on the roadmap", which means the developers would like to implement them at some point, but are currently working on other, higher-priority tasks.
Ελληνικά rulez.
polyakoff
Translator
Translator

Post by polyakoff »

Wizzard wrote:use Linux and Krusader file manager
zorglups

Post by zorglups »

It is just a small UP.
Pleaaaaaaase. Altap is sooo good and the only lack are:
- Tabbed panels
- Better favorites (10 is too few)

Pleaaaaase.

Maybe the only other whish would be to have it portable but I can understand you do not want to go this way.
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

What would be the advantage of having tabs?
therube

Post by therube »

To avoid having multiple upon multiple separate instances of Salamander open.

To have tab "groups", on each panel side, that are relatively constant, for those places that you regularly deal with file manipulations. That would make it far more convenient, far less jumping around, far easier to use. To allow you to more easily perform operations of multiple to one, or one to multiple, or multiple to multiple.

Tabs are sorely need.
(If, when, it comes to the time that you look at alternatives to get around lacking of existing, it's time.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

I only need a second instance of AS, if (a) one is running in super-user mode or (b) one is uploading to SFTP.
Ether

Post by Ether »

mklhmnn wrote:I only need a second instance of AS, if (a) one is running in super-user mode or (b) one is uploading to SFTP.
(b) Do the options in Options > Plugin Configuration > WinSCP > Background & Resume help? Also, I would add (c) one is working with an archive.

Some of the issues solvable by tabs can be worked around using panel history and working directories lists and temporary hot paths, but having tabs would be better.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

Ether wrote:
mklhmnn wrote:I only need a second instance of AS, if (a) one is running in super-user mode or (b) one is uploading to SFTP.
(b) Do the options in Options > Plugin Configuration > WinSCP > Background & Resume help?
I'll try it the next time.
Ether wrote:Also, I would add (c) one is working with an archive.
Yes.
Ether wrote:Some of the issues solvable by tabs can be worked around using panel history and working directories lists and temporary hot paths, but having tabs would be better.
Tabs only would make sense if some modal progress dialogs like (un)packing an archive would not block the whole window and tabs, too.
So from my POV it would make more sense to first make (un)packing not modal.
Ether

Post by Ether »

mklhmnn wrote:Tabs only would make sense if some modal progress dialogs like (un)packing an archive would not block the whole window and tabs, too.
So from my POV it would make more sense to first make (un)packing not modal.
I can't agree with that. People who benefit from having tabs will benefit from them, even if they happen to do some archive work now and then.

I'm not trying to say which feature is more important, just saying that either's got sense.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

I meant: if tabs would be added ATM, then modal dialogs when (un)packing would block the usage of the other tabs. So the modal dialogs would have to be fixed before adding tabs. I would be happy with the modal dialog fixed without introducing tabs.
Ether

Post by Ether »

:D I know. I meant: if tabs would be added ATM, the modal dialogs wouldn't make things any worse than before. If someone doesn't (un)pack often, he/she could enjoy tabs. If someone (un)packs often, the modal dialogs would bother him/her as much as before.
Ελληνικά rulez.
zorglups

Post by zorglups »

Is there any chance to get this one day ?
I'm hoping to get it for a few years :cry:
WaldemarH

Post by WaldemarH »

I definitely vote for tabs as I normally have up to 3 salamanders opened and it's annoying to move files from one to others.
I've tried the history menu, but it's not working as it should (a lot of time the directory is missing or finding just the right one in the list is extremely hard).

For me there are two things missing that make Salamander less useful:
• no unicode
• no tabs

Without others I can survive, but these I think are the big issue.

BrW