File Comparator: Reposition

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SvA

File Comparator: Reposition

Post by SvA »

In the file comparator, especially in hex mode many differences tend to be clustered, with matches in between, and only the cluster, not each individual difference is of interest. To step through all of them with next/previous difference is usually tedious, so i just scroll and click, to restart stepping through differences from that point.
Unlike most other diff/merge tools, in Salamander this only works when you clicked a difference, not when you clicked any other position in the file. At times, this makes it unnecessarily difficult to restart, because you need to search for the next/previous difference visually by scrolling instead of letting the machine do it.
Please support repositioning difference stepping anywhere in the file.
therube

Re: File Comparator: Reposition

Post by therube »

WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
SvA

Post by SvA »

I missed that (admittedly, I did not even search for it).
I am still glad I posted this request since yours easily could be considered as withdrawn (Here's a problem--here's a solution to it--checked off). As I stated above, I know you can reposition be clicking a spot marked as a difference, but why do I have to search for one, when the computer can do it?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Have you tried using keyboard (PageDown or Alt+Down) to find the next difference faster?

Nevertheless, it seems that the feature you propose would be helpful.
Ελληνικά rulez.