Tab browsing

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
orange47

Tab browsing

Post by orange47 »

I have found fine NC like file commander which has got tab browsing implemented, coudn't you do it in servant salamnder? Have a look at their web site: http://www.winnc.com
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

And what about look at Servant Salamander web?
http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html#roadmap
beta
Translator
Translator

Post by beta »

Jan Rysavy wrote:And what about look at Servant Salamander web?
http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html#roadmap
We hope the altap version is much better. :wink:
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

Tabs are very useful and high on my personal wishlist for Salamander!

Most dual pane filers support tabs now, some MUCH better than others.

I personally think a "bells and whistles" mixture in Salamander of the TotalCommander implementation with the SpeedCommander implementation would just about do me!
Mouse-centric, Registered
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Related feature: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=280
beta wrote:We hope the altap version is much better. :wink:
JohnFredC wrote:I personally think a "bells and whistles" mixture in Salamander of the TotalCommander implementation with the SpeedCommander implementation would just about do me!
Could you be more specific? Please describe strengths and weaknesses of Tabs implementation in Total Commander, Speed Commander, and other file managers -- it will definitely help us.
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

Things I find wrong with Total Commander's tabs:
  • all tabs share a single history list
  • when I drag and drop directories/files onto tabs they don't open so I can browse through folders further without dropping selected directories/files
  • can't reorder tabs
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
jis

Post by jis »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Could you be more specific? Please describe strengths and weaknesses of Tabs implementation in Total Commander, Speed Commander, and other file managers -- it will definitely help us.
I have a long rant for your inspiration in the process of implementation tabs in the thread Panely (taby) v Servant Salamander (in Czech).
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

2jis
Would you please translate your rant to English or point us to a czech-english automated translator page?

2Josip
What version of TC are you using? I use 6.54a and can reorganize tabs by dragging them... even to the opposite pane. It's SC that doesn't allow tab drag, you must use a "move left/move right" popup menu instead.

I'll work up a list of my personal ideas issues for tabs when I get a chance... but will start with how Salamander tabs should not be implemented:

Some commander-style filers have only one row of tabs shared by both panes. Salamander should have separate tab groups for each pane (with tools to synchronize them if necessary!) just as in TC and SC.
jis

Post by jis »

JohnFredC wrote:2jis
Would you please translate your rant to English or point us to a czech-english automated translator page?
I will translate it, but later - today, I hope.
beta
Translator
Translator

Post by beta »

Thats the tab function from Total Commander:

... please add this function.

I find the coloured tabs from the Firefox plugin very useful. Or please add an icon in the front of the tabs for imporant directories.
beta
Translator
Translator

Post by beta »

Josip Tosic wrote:Things I find wrong with Total Commander's tabs:
  • all tabs share a single history list
Very good point. I support your wish!
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

JohnFredC wrote:2Josip
What version of TC are you using? I use 6.54a and can reorganize tabs by dragging them... even to the opposite pane. It's SC that doesn't allow tab drag, you must use a "move left/move right" popup menu instead.
Oh... yes, it is possible to reorder tabs. My bad. That was written from memory, should've checked.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
jis

Post by jis »

jis wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:2jis
I will translate it, but later - today, I hope.
Sorry I was very busy this week. But I finally translate my Czech post:
JanalTom wrote:We must design the way how the tabs will be display....
For example like in the Mozilla: If there is only one tab, tabs bar is hidden, for more than one tab the tabs bar will appear, the tabs will look as an standard system tabs.

Regarding the width of tabs I propose to make the width dependent on the length of folder name. I think that nobody has folder names longer than approx. 50 chars :-)

And the keyboard shortcuts - we need them, they are very useful and make our work easier ;-)
It really looks like in the Avant Browser, although with small differences. I will intentionally describe in detail how it works in AB for illustration and inspiration:

1) Tabs bar and tabs
  • If there is only one tab, tabs bar is hidden. When there are only a few tabs, the tabs are the widest, default starting width is 160 pixels. The tab width is decreasing with increasing number of tabs, but there is defined minimal width (about 62 pixels). When the number of tabs is increasing and width of the tabs is calculated under defined minimum, another row of tabs is added. For example on my system with resolution 1400 pixel in X axis it looks like this: I can display from up to 8 tabs with full width 160 pixels to 22 tabs with minimum width 62 pixels. With adding 23rd tab, another tabs bar is added. With more than one tabs bar all tabs have the same minimal width. When the number of tabs is decreasing, the number of tabs bar are decreasing too. Finally when we have only one last tabs bar, the rest tabs gets wider and wider up to maximum width 160 pixels.
2) The keyboard shortcuts for moving between tabs
  • Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Up ... next tab
    Ctrl+Shift+Tab / Ctrl+Down ... previous tab
    Ctrl+F4 / Ctrl+W ... close tab
3) The mouse shortcuts for working with tabs
  • - close tab with click on the tab by middle mouse button
    - refresh tab with double click of left mouse button on the tab
    - the right mouse button invoke context menu of tab
    - rotate with mouse wheel to switch tabs when the pointer is over tabs bar
    - when the pointer isn't over tabs bar, press the right mouse button and rotate with mouse wheel to switch tabs
    In the options there is the settings what happened after closing the current tab: activate the tab last visited, activate the first tab, activate the previous tab, activate the next tab, activate the last tab...
    Mouse Middle Button: Clicking a link in the active web-page, opens the link in a new tab, in the background (or in the foreground, it depends on the configuration). There can be an analogy for it in SS: open the selected folder to the new tab....
    It is possible to change tabs order with mouse drag and drop. We can save tabs (all or selected) into so called group. The group of tabs can be opened in one step, or we can open individual group items. There is a possibility to automatically save all opened tabs when exiting Avant Browser. After restarting Avant recently opened pages can be re-opened all group at once, or we can select with checkboxes what we want to re-open and what we want to discard.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

There should be a toggle for tab bar visible at all times, even with just one tab. I hate when windows and toolbars squirm around on the screen because some element of a window layout suddenly disappears.
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

JohnFredC wrote:...tab bar visible at all times, even with just one tab.
I hate when windows and toolbars squirm around on the screen because
some element of a window layout suddenly disappears.
Here th same :D
AbteriX