Hotkeys unification through language versions

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Half-Death

Hotkeys unification through language versions

Post by Half-Death »

Hi Altap,
is it possible to unify hotkeys for dialogs, for instance, Alt+W will always queue a copy operation? Now when using colleague's PC with Czech Salamander version I have to press Alt+D to do the same.
-=Majkl=-

Re: Hotkeys unification through language versions

Post by -=Majkl=- »

Hi,
This is almost impossible because of lack of those letters in translated strings. I've been working in localization quite a while, but we've never done this for any language. The only exceptions are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, SInhala and some other languages, where Latin hotkey character goes behind the translation into brackets. But in Latin alphabet languages it looks like ugly and unfinished work (I saw this in some scanner software from Epson)
fraktik

Post by fraktik »

IMHO - Its better, when it looks ugly, then if I am pissed by changing my "user experience" from machine to machine (the Ctrl+W/D combination is very good - and very frequent example)...
SvA

Post by SvA »

You can install several languages and switch between them.
Why should everyone endure an ugly and unintuitive user interface (because the hotkeys then were unrelated to the function i.e. not descriptive/self-documenting) for the very view that use hotkeys and use different language versions?
I'd welcome a hotkey editor, though. And I'd even more appreciate a portable version.