Copy/Move - Overwrite, Cancel =or Rename=

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mkolber

Copy/Move - Overwrite, Cancel =or Rename=

Post by mkolber »

One of the things windows does for some copy/move operations (but not all) where there is already a file with the same name is to give a third option (in some situations automatic) to the overwrite/cancel choices - to rename the copied file, even by something as simple as adding a "-1" or "(1)" to it.

That's such a useful feature and one I've wished for more than once. Any chance to making it available in Salamander? Alternatively, does anyone know of a utility that does do it?
therube

Re: Copy/Move - Overwrite, Cancel =or Rename=

Post by therube »

Note that while a Salamander F5/Copy dialog does not do this, a Paste (Ctrl+V or Shift+Ins) of a copy of a file in the same directory will do that.

So if you have C:\TMP\anyfile.txt & you "copy" that file (say with Ctrl+C), then if you paste it, Ctrl+V, back into the same directory, you will end up with a new file, "C:\TMP\Copy of anyfile.txt". (And then "C:\TMP\Copy (2) of anyfile.txt".)

This works when working in one panel alone.
As in it will not work when copy/paste a same named file from one panel to another.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
fraktik

Re: Copy/Move - Overwrite, Cancel =or Rename=

Post by fraktik »

mkolber wrote:One of the things windows does for some copy/move operations (but not all) where there is already a file with the same name is to give a third option (in some situations automatic) to the overwrite/cancel choices - to rename the copied file, even by something as simple as adding a "-1" or "(1)" to it.

That's such a useful feature and one I've wished for more than once. Any chance to making it available in Salamander? Alternatively, does anyone know of a utility that does do it?
+1
I like (but dont use) solution by TotalCommander: their Copy/Move dialog will ask you, if you want preserve newer/older file OR rename it...

PS:
I am "solving" this by renameing the target file name and "overwrite" after (files will not interfere with each other, because they will have different name after my manual change).