File Directory Lister

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
drdumont

File Directory Lister

Post by drdumont »

I found this wonderful program while searching for a way to make a database of the contents of many CDs.

Your Make File List function is almost perfect. I would like to add as a field "Disk Number" or some such method to identify the disc. Automatic number incrementing would be really nice. (Each disk would have a serial number, incremented each time a list is made. Or perhaps being able to include the disc label as well.

I presume this will be implemented by tomorrow? <INSERT BIG GRIN HERE>

Thanks for an AWESOME addition to my computer tools.
Ether

Re: File Directory Lister

Post by Ether »

I'm not sure I understad your request. You want some number to be included in every line of the listing? If yes, wouldn't it suffice to add the "Serial Number" manually into the Line field?
Ελληνικά rulez.
drdumont

Post by drdumont »

I'm looking for some simple way to catalog my huge number od cd's and dvds. Just a simple listing of filenames and which disk. Tried to do it in Dos or Basic but all I get is the 8.3 file notation.

So I found that Salamander would export the filenames to a file. But I need a key - a disk number. For instance, if I am looking for "Weekend at Bernie's", I can search the "database", and it would indicate it is on disk # XX, I go to the binder with the disks, and sure enough, pull out disk #XX and there is the movie for which I am looking.

Every other app I have seen gets all bogged down with metadata details, file length, dates, etc., or gets involved with SQL or Access. I have written a searcher dealing with .txt files. Keeping it simple.

I just want to put in a disk, give the DISK a number, and have the files on that disk (folders and subfolders and files, as necessary) listed in a file suitable for searching. The searching, etc I can handle. Just haven't been able to automate the gathering of the data.

If you've got any ideas, I'd enjoy hearing them.

-- Doc
ino

Post by ino »

drdumont wrote:I'm looking for some simple way to catalog my huge number od cd's and dvds. Just a simple listing of filenames and which disk.
Hi,
I am using CD Offline.
It is a small, fast and simple application which is able to catalog any type of media including HDD, FDD, CD, DVD - it makes a list of all (sub)folders with list of files on selected media or given path with possibility to keep it on the disk as catalog or it can export it as txt, html, and of course search within the catalog is possible as well with interaction with files on the available media (you can open any file directly from the catalog).

Give it a try ;-)
drdumont

Post by drdumont »

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at CD offline, and although it is more streamlined than what I have seen, it still is wayyy to involved for my needs. I don't need viewers, cddb data, archiving all the rest of the stuff. I just want to be able to enter a filename or movie and have it tell me on what disk it is found. That's all. Been trying to do it in Basic, but there is no form of Basic I can find which will show full filenames, only 8.3. Even calling batch files from Basic produces 8.3, even when calling the batch files from the CMD window work fine. I've no time to try to learn VB, and so I finally got enough resources to finger out how to do the input (put in a disc, give it a number, and write the directory info to a txt file). Then I do the file massaging and seeking in GWBasic. Yeah, I am THAT old!

So thanks again, I finally got the key to automating the batch file and have a working model. But I still will keep Salamander. It beats the crap out of any directory shell I have seen,even better than Explorer Lite 2 (<-- that's a superscript 2)

Yours for Better Television,
-- Doc