Internal Viewer - Tail Functionality

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
daern

Internal Viewer - Tail Functionality

Post by daern »

As a feature request, I would like to have some sort of tail functionality built into the internal text viewer plugin.

i.e. F3 -> <enable tail> -> file tracks automatically.
Effectively, I do this at the moment: F3 -> End -> Esc -> F3 -> End -> Esc....

Also, the files I'm viewing are large trace files (multiple GB) and many other tools open files in memory, so are unsuitable. Besides which, Salamander is the obvious place to do this... :)

Thoughts? I know there was a previous thread 5 years (!!) ago, but I thought I'd start a new one to see if there are any other like minded people.

Daern
Ether

Re: Internal Viewer - Tail Functionality

Post by Ether »

daern wrote:Effectively, I do this at the moment: F3 -> End -> Esc -> F3 -> End -> Esc....
Actually, all that you need to do is move somewhere else in the file and then again to the end. (So instead of Esc, F3, End, you can do Home, End, or PageUp, PageDown as I like to do).

Other than that, I'd like the scrolling to be optionally automatic, too.
Ελληνικά rulez.
daern

Post by daern »

Ether wrote:
daern wrote:Effectively, I do this at the moment: F3 -> End -> Esc -> F3 -> End -> Esc....
Actually, all that you need to do is move somewhere else in the file and then again to the end. (So instead of Esc, F3, End, you can do Home, End, or PageUp, PageDown as I like to do).
Other than that, I'd like the scrolling to be optionally automatic, too.
Ah yes, of course. I do that as well, but it's not always 100% reliable - seems to depend on how the app writes to the file.

TBH, I reckon that I can do this at great speed in my sleep, should the need arise ;)
therube

Post by therube »

> it's not always 100% reliable

CTRL+R (Refresh) ?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54