Unpacking archive - pre-fill name

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
cincura.net

Unpacking archive - pre-fill name

Post by cincura.net »

Hi,

if you use Alt-F6 for unpacking archive, it would by usefull to pre-fill the path into the field according to filename without extension.

I'm unpacking the whole archive into the directory often and this will be little bit faster for doing - Alt-F6, Enter, done.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Moderator: not a bug, moved to the Feature Requests section.

Look at Options > Configuration > Archivers > Unpack to subdirectory named by archive.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Nice! I've never seen this option. :(

Thanks.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Btw, do you know this feature?
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=921#921
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Yes, I know it, but not using it. Not helpful for me.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Look at Options > Configuration > Archivers > Unpack to subdirectory named by archive.
Ha ha :D really good - never noticed this one in the configuration 8)
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by AbteriX »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Moderator: ...
Look at Options > Configuration > Archivers > Unpack to subdirectory named by archive.
I am just need this option too.
Normally i have an seperate zipper installed.
Since i carry SS on my USB-Stick with me and come to pcs without an zipper installed ,
i want to use SS to unpack zips in an new folder called like the zip archive.

With this option it works like a charm.

Thank you for this feature. :lol:
AbteriX
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Hi,

would it be possible to also offer this option (Unpack to subdirectory named by archive) in the Unpack dialog itself instead of the Configuration settings?

Sometimes this naming scheme is very handy but sometimes I dont want the extra folder to be created.

schroeder
SvA

Post by SvA »

I suggest you activate the option and press DEL before ENTER if you don't want the subdir (Empty field = current dir). (Never tried 'Unpack to other pannel' option, so this might not work when it is activated.)
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

SvA wrote:I suggest you activate the option and press DEL before ENTER if you don't want the subdir (Empty field = current dir). (Never tried 'Unpack to other pannel' option, so this might not work when it is activated.)
:roll: The simple things in life...danke schön für den Tip. :wink:
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

SvA wrote:I suggest you activate the option and press DEL before ENTER if you don't want the subdir (Empty field = current dir). (Never tried 'Unpack to other pannel' option, so this might not work when it is activated.)
Well...sounded nicer than it actually is. Using this method you basically disable another nice feature: Unpack to other panel (without explicitly checking the option) and by just pressing the DOWN arrow (as mentioned by Jan here: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=921#921).

You can erase the name and unzip it to the same folder, but you cant erase the name and just unzip it to the other panel. That's where a checkbox option in the unzip dialog comes in handy.

schroeder
SvA

Post by SvA »

schroeder wrote:Well...sounded nicer than it actually is. Using this method you basically disable another nice feature: Unpack to other panel
Yes, of course you are right. I did not intend to give this as the solution to all needs.

For me, using this setup let's me access the the four possible cases in descending order of effort (the most frequently used with ENTER; the second frequently used with DEL, ENTER ...).

On the other hand, you can see from this that a single switch does not cover all user's needs. There are four possible cases:

1) Zip file directory
2) subfolder named according to zip file in current directory
3) other pannel
4) subfolder named according to zip file in other pannel

(my precedence is 2, 1, 4, 3)

A user should be allowed to choose his favorite as default and any of the other cases on the fly.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

SvA wrote:A user should be allowed to choose his favorite as default and any of the other cases on the fly.
I dont disagree. But anyway, I think that an option to change the settings in the actual unzip dialog would be nice.

schroeder