Pictview - preload next image

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
slaurel

Pictview - preload next image

Post by slaurel »

A popular feature in other image viewers is that of preloading the subsequent image.

Since the normal usage pattern is load image / stare at image for a few seconds / press key to load next image - it is a significant speedup (at the cost of RAM) to be loading and processing the next image while the user is looking at the current image - then when the user presses a key, page-flip, unload the previous image, and start loading the following one.

Some viewers keep more than one ahead in RAM - or predict and load in the other direction if the user starts flipping backwards. Even without those though, any version of preload would be a great timesaver. When I'm doing photography I often have to review thousands of images...
Ether

Re: Pictview - preload next image

Post by Ether »

Try maximizing the panel (Ctrl+F11), switching to Thumbnails (Alt+5) and zooming (Ctrl+MouseWheelUp) up to some comfortable size. It seemed to me as a good way to review a lot of images, if you don't need the features of PictView.
Ελληνικά rulez.
slaurel

Re: Pictview - preload next image

Post by slaurel »

Ether wrote:Try maximizing the panel (Ctrl+F11), switching to Thumbnails (Alt+5) and zooming (Ctrl+MouseWheelUp) up to some comfortable size. It seemed to me as a good way to review a lot of images, if you don't need the features of PictView.
I do use that functionality as well. (Often!) - but I'm regularly viewing 12 or 21 Megapixel images, and need to zoom to 100% to check for sharpness / camera shake. Thumbnails aren't suitable in that situation.