Rename *.* to dotted.name.*

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mdruiter

Rename *.* to dotted.name.*

Post by mdruiter »

I had three files with names of the form somename.* : equal names but different extensions. I wanted to rename them to, say, some.name.* : keep the extension but change the name, which contains a dot. So I selected the files, pressed F6, typed some.name.* and pressed Enter. But... it turned out that Salamander renamed the first file to some.name and it wanted to rename the other files to some.name as well... :?
I think I can follow the thing technically, but of course it's not what I meant to do!
Can this be improved please? Or at least detect that the .* will be discarded at all, and warn the user that he probably means something else. :idea:

The opposite, renaming some.name.* to somename.*, does work as expected.
SelfMan

Re: Rename *.* to dotted.name.*

Post by SelfMan »

You should try the renamer plug-in which is much much powerfull. (ctrl+shift+r)
Ether

Post by Ether »

I'd like to point out that the newname.* convention comes from the age of 8.3 names and doesn't bear any semantic for filenames containing more (or no) dots. Because of this, I think a warning (like the one when a fixed name is entered for multiple files, or maybe just a bubble) is appropriate when entering such mask as some.name.*.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Yes, I know about the wonderful Renamer plugin.
But Joe User will be surprised by the F6 behavior I encountered.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

As ether said, you get the same behavior if you try the rename command from command line.
i.e "A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found." as the extension is cut away.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

That's no reason to leave Salamander as it is.
I have 'the' extension displayed separately, but sometimes I do use dots in the file names. Changing a bunch of file names at once is intuitive, except when the target file name contains dots.
I'm sure it can be improved without breaking other existing functionality.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Petr plan to review mask handling procedure in Altap Salamander, he has this issue on to-do list. Thank you.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Consistency is a very importent aspect of a user interface. So, if you do anything different from Windows in wildcard hanling, do it in a way that is distinct from Windows' way (i.e. can easily be distinguished from what they did in any other interface to te filesystem. In other words, if I do the same, I expect to get the same results, regardless of what program I do it in).
therube

Post by therube »

(So much that I see in W7 is just soooo inconsistent, it make we wonder. Often.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54