Increase Hot Path Bar Items from 10 to 20

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
nmccamy

Increase Hot Path Bar Items from 10 to 20

Post by nmccamy »

Could you increase the number of allowable Hot Path Bar Items from 10 to 20? I'm pretty sure this won't add much more memory.
Ether

Re: Increase Hot Path Bar Items from 10 to 20

Post by Ether »

It's not about memory, the limit here is the number of digits for the shortcuts. A shortcut in the form Ctrl+<number> is assigned to each hot path, so that it's really "hot" in the sense that it's immediately available using this shortcut.

However, there is a standing request for hot path expansion, allowing theoretically unlimited number of paths in a tree structure (much like the User Menu commands) and there are ways to simulate it. See this thread for more information. Next time, try to search the forum before you post, many questions have been already answered.
Ελληνικά rulez.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

Instead of digits, use letters. Ctrl-a, Ctrl-b. That would give us 26.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

You might check this page.
The list is also within the salamanders help file.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

I know what already exists and am simply pointing out that by using digits, the designers have limited the number of hot paths to 10.
If they changed to the alphabet (a-z) there would be 26 available slots.

Perhaps I'm the one weirdo in a million that needs more hot paths. And for that reason, I suspect my idea will never fly.
Though the code change would not be a very difficult one. And gee, I'm worth it! :lol:

I would also suggest that if the change were made that the key combination be Ctrl-Alt-alphabet or Ctrl-Shift-alphabet. This would avoid colliding with other common employments of the Ctrl-alphabet combination.
Ether

Post by Ether »

nmccamy wrote:I would also suggest that if the change were made that the key combination be Ctrl-Alt-alphabet or Ctrl-Shift-alphabet. This would avoid colliding with other common employments of the Ctrl-alphabet combination.
The Ctrl+<letter> and Ctrl+Shift+<letter> shortcuts are already taken by various commands (Ctrl for common operations, Ctrl+Shift for plugins mainly). Ctrl+Alt+<letter> shortcuts are generally available, but you can't rely on that. I, for instance, use the Ctrl+Alt series for system-wide shortcuts.

I don't think that other shortcut series should be used. Having the ability to use custom (any) shortcuts (as it is now with plugin commands) would be great though.
Ελληνικά rulez.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

Well then who needs a short-cut to add a hot path? The important thing is providing more hot paths. I don't have to have a short-cut to add a hot path. If I have to click a plus sign or whatever to add a hot path, no problem. Once my hot paths are in place, I would only be adding or changing them once in awhile anyway. Short-cuts are more benficial when doing something frequently.
Ether

Post by Ether »

The shortcuts are for accessing the hot paths - diplaying the path in the focused panel - which is a very frequent operation.
Ελληνικά rulez.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

I guess I'm confused. I thought we were talking about the short-cuts used to create a hot path, not the short-cuts used to display a short-cut.

I any event, for what it's worth, I would like to see the option to have more hot paths and don't care if there are any short-cuts associated with them.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

Add ten more Hot Paths that don't have ANY short-cuts associated with them. I would use them! There might be one or two others that might use them as well.
cpb

Post by cpb »

I kinda like the limit, it helps curb the tendency to make labyrinthine directory structures.
pavel.tsvetkov

Post by pavel.tsvetkov »

Dear All,

I would also like to see more Hot Paths. I need a greater number of Hot Paths so badly that I recently bought Directory Opus just because it does not limit the number of quickly accessible folders.

And for those who need a solution right away: try Metaproducts AutoDialogs - I have requested and received compatibility with SS - and it supports an unlimited number of folders and shortkey combinations.

Kind Regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov
Discoragno

Post by Discoragno »

I've read some info in the forum..but i hope interesting increase the number of the "hot path"

Good job at all Image
fraktik

Post by fraktik »

+1
(just increase the allowed number, we dont need more keyb. combination for them, at least not SO much...)
mklhmnn

Post by mklhmnn »

+1 for more hotpaths without shortcut (though I'm very accustomed to the ones with shortcut)