Please improve User Menu dialog

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
otrov

Please improve User Menu dialog

Post by otrov »

I have more then 100 (~130) commands in user dialog. I use scripts and programs to manipulate files and this list could only grow.
Variables provided and workflow is great, but managing such user menu is BIG pain.

Just imagine I want to add new command in some nested submenu on top of the list:
1. I need to click up button about 100 times
2. I need to find a way which submenu is which

I thought on dumping AS registry values, then study the structure and eventually make python script which would transform some CSV file to corresponding registry tree that I'll then merge on every change. Yeah, it sounds crazy but as I don't see other way, thought first to ask if developers see user menu limitation and if it would be resolved in not so distant future

Thanks
therube

Re: Please improve User Menu dialog

Post by therube »

(I've never used F9. Could you provided some sample uses you use it for?)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
otrov

Post by otrov »

sure,

although the point is in general unfriendliness in that dialog
ino

Post by ino »

otrov wrote: Just imagine I want to add new command in some nested submenu on top of the list:
1. I need to click up button about 100 times
Little hint: to move new item from very bottom to the right place you can use ALT+ARROW UP.
ino

Post by ino »

otrov wrote: 2. I need to find a way which submenu is which
To otrov: one of the problem while moving item from the bottom of the list into proper submenu is that firs is seen the closing tag with general name (so you cannot determine to which submenu it belongs). One workaround could be: create new Separator at the end of each of your submenus an name it the same name as the submenu is. So you will get something like:
... -submenu items
UU end - separator
(Submenu End) - submenu closing tag
inconv - new submenu start
temp
CP1251 - UTF-8
... -rest of submenu items
inconv END - separator
Enc/Dec end - separator with name of the submenu + unchecked "Show item in User Menu Bar"
AviSynth - new submenu start

Note: unfortunatelly the option "Show item in User Menu bar" is not reflected while using F9 to show the User menu bar. It is not bug but feature for details see Czech forum

To Altap: this could be solved quite easily - just add the name of the submenu into the closing tag.
For example using the screenshot above: there is submenu "iconv" which is now closed with "(Submenu End)" and it could be called "(incon Submenu End)".
otrov

Post by otrov »

ino wrote:Little hint: to move new item from very bottom to the right place you can use ALT+ARROW UP.
Thanks for the tip :)
I wish I knew this, it's real saver
ino wrote:One workaround could be: create new Separator at the end of each of your submenus an name it the same name as the submenu is.
I might just do that

----------------

Also, if implementing better UI for User Menu is hard task, then please just allow option - new item to be inserted relative to current pointer (highlighted item). It could save from trouble IMHO
ino

Post by ino »

otrov wrote: Also, if implementing better UI for User Menu is hard task, then please just allow option - new item to be inserted relative to current pointer (highlighted item). It could save from trouble IMHO
+1