Salamander Portable?

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
dietmar

Salamander Portable?

Post by dietmar »

Hi,

I would like a portable version of Salamander. The main problem in my point of view is, that the settings must be stored somewhere in files and not in the Registry (as now).
Will there be a portable version?

Regards,
Dietmar
SvA

Re: Salamander Portable?

Post by SvA »

Hi Dietmar,

have you searched the forum?

A portable version was not going to happen, while Apltap was actively developping it, and is so much more unlikely to happen now.

However, there is a thread with scripts which make AS portable.

On the other hand, if you don't mind that the configuration is left behind in the registry, just copy an installed copy to your thumb drive and you are good to go (you might want to tweak the configuration a little).
I also recommend to remove or rename salext??.dll, located in the utils folder. These libraries get registered as shell extensions, otherwise. I never noticed any adverse effects of not having these extensions installed (though I trust they do serve a valid purpose).
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Salamander is now free, so why not leave it on the system? The application takes less than 40MB from the drive.
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

dietmar wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:10 Hi,

I would like a portable version of Salamander. The main problem in my point of view is, that the settings must be stored somewhere in files and not in the Registry (as now).
Will there be a portable version?

Regards,
Dietmar
You have to create the portable application by yourself. You have many options like ThinApp from VmWare, Cameyo, Enigma Virtual Box (https://enigmaprotector.com/en/aboutvb.html), etc.