FTP Client - use Timestamp for overwrite files

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
BerndL

FTP Client - use Timestamp for overwrite files

Post by BerndL »

I just upgraded Salamander from 3.08 to 4.0 and tried out the ftp-Client. With this plugin it could replace my ftp client.

But the ftp Client lacks an important feature - when a file exists on the server it gives a warning and asks to overwrite. My 14 year old ftp client is so smart that it only asks if the file on the server is newer than the file i want to upload.

So updating changed files is unnecessary complex. Since the warning gives no hint to decide (for example: timestamp and file size of file on server and local directory) you can only abort look in the list and start new.

There should be a setting like "overwrite files with newer date without confirmation". At least the warning-Question should have a button like "overwrite older files for all".
tukanos

Re: FTP Client - use Timestamp for overwrite files

Post by tukanos »

BerndL wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 21:29 I just upgraded Salamander from 3.08 to 4.0 and tried out the ftp-Client. With this plugin it could replace my ftp client.

But the ftp Client lacks an important feature - when a file exists on the server it gives a warning and asks to overwrite. My 14 year old ftp client is so smart that it only asks if the file on the server is newer than the file i want to upload.

So updating changed files is unnecessary complex. Since the warning gives no hint to decide (for example: timestamp and file size of file on server and local directory) you can only abort look in the list and start new.

There should be a setting like "overwrite files with newer date without confirmation". At least the warning-Question should have a button like "overwrite older files for all".
This functionality is found at copy/options/advanced where you specify which time you want to have as your border line time to recognize the same file.
BerndL

Post by BerndL »

Sorry, perhaps i'm to silly for that, but even after changing the Language to english i did not found such a menu item either in the main manu nor the ftp client config nor the common configuration.
therube

Post by therube »

It would be in neither of those places.

It would be in the File Copy (F5) dialog: -> Options --> Overwrite older and skip other existing files without asking.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
BerndL

Post by BerndL »

Aah i now find the option. If i select "Overwrite existing files and skip other files without asking" ans save as default i get the following Messagebox and how the box says it still does not work.
Attachments
Zwischenablage01.jpg
Zwischenablage01.jpg (19.34 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

As the dialog says, this functionality is not supported while using a Plugin. This statement is also valid for FTP.
The plugin itself has its own options for handling overwrite which are accessible during the copy process.