Breadcrumb

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
canefield
Translator
Translator
Posts: 40
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 23:27

Breadcrumb

Post by canefield »

Dear Altap,

Is there some kind of feature availiable like TC Breadcrumb navigation in AS 2.54?

Thanks and Bye,
Canefield

User avatar
ino
Posts: 440
Joined: 09 Dec 2005, 14:59
Location: Brno, Czech Republic

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by ino »

canefield wrote:Dear Altap,

Is there some kind of feature availiable like TC Breadcrumb navigation in AS 2.54?

Thanks and Bye,
Canefield
I do not know Breadcrumb navigation in TC but according Wikipedia you are possibly looking for Directory Line where you can click on any directory of the path to current folder to move on it:
Altap Salamander: Window Components - Directory Line wrote: Image
Current Directory

The Current Directory title text identifies the directory being viewed in the panel. Click part of the path to change the current directory. Right-click the path to assign hot path or copy path to the clipboard. You can drag path to the command line or to the other directory line. You can also drop a directory (it can be text dragged e.g. from text editor or a real directory dragged e.g. from Windows Explorer) to the Directory Line to change the directory in the panel.
In example above you can click on D:\ to load root of D: drive into the panel or on \WINNT\ to load D:\WINNT\ into the panel. For more details - see full help of Directory Line

User avatar
SvA
Posts: 468
Joined: 29 Mar 2006, 02:41
Location: DE

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by SvA »

I do not know TC breadcrumb navigation either, but looking at Windows Explorer in Vista and later, then tere are pop-down menues on each level of the (displayed) path in the address toolbar, from which to choose the options at that level. I'd even suggest a cascading menue instead so you can descend further levels in one go.

Furthermore, explorer offers also a list of existing choices while entering a path. This also is a neat help and time saver which Salamander should add to it's features also.

User avatar
ino
Posts: 440
Joined: 09 Dec 2005, 14:59
Location: Brno, Czech Republic

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by ino »

ino wrote: I do not know Breadcrumb navigation in TC but according Wikipedia you are possibly looking for Directory Line where you can click on any directory of the path to current folder to move on it:
Well, the full description of breadcrumb in TC is here

Image

Now I just wonder how does it looks in Windows Explorer ;-)

User avatar
ino
Posts: 440
Joined: 09 Dec 2005, 14:59
Location: Brno, Czech Republic

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by ino »

ino wrote: Now I just wonder how does it looks in Windows Explorer ;-)
Well, I realy wondered how does the Breadcrumb looks in Windows Explorer. On one hand I foun many pages like "How to disable Breadcrumb on Windows Vista" and on other hand many tricks "How to enable Breadcrumb on Windows XP" :-D still no valueable screenshots with description... luckily there are several videos on youtube.

Now, I can imagine AS with this feature.
Let's say when user click-and-hold a folder name listed in Directory Line the drop down menu will appear with list of folders in the same location.

+1

User avatar
SelfMan
Posts: 979
Joined: 05 Apr 2006, 20:51
Contact:

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by SelfMan »

I personally find this feature useless as I am more a keyboard person then a mouse clicker...
So -1 from me...

User avatar
SvA
Posts: 468
Joined: 29 Mar 2006, 02:41
Location: DE

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by SvA »

SelfMan, I also preferably use the keyboard (I actualy prefere to work in a way that disrupts the flow the least or that is most effective). I think, this kind of navigation is most effective, and it does not break anything you can do with the keyboard. So, is there any reason you vote it down? wasn't it enough to simply not care?
Furthermore, there is no reason to leave it inaccessible for the keyboard. Just a hotkey to go to the directory line was enough, the rest could be utilised using the arrow keys making the final selection with the return key or aborting with esc.

User avatar
SelfMan
Posts: 979
Joined: 05 Apr 2006, 20:51
Contact:

Re: Breadcrumb

Post by SelfMan »

SvA wrote:SelfMan, I also preferably use the keyboard (I actualy prefere to work in a way that disrupts the flow the least or that is most effective). I think, this kind of navigation is most effective, and it does not break anything you can do with the keyboard. So, is there any reason you vote it down? wasn't it enough to simply not care?
Furthermore, there is no reason to leave it inaccessible for the keyboard. Just a hotkey to go to the directory line was enough, the rest could be utilised using the arrow keys making the final selection with the return key or aborting with esc.
Its because somehow I don't see any benefit in it. If I want to navigate quickly trough the folders I always use the combination of 1 to 3 letters, then if necessary arows and finaly enter. Repeated as necessary. For me is this the most effective way to navigate trough folders and files.
The suggested breadcrumb function is in my opinion conflicting with the normal menus. So to say a 1s break of "where am I now".

Why I voted this down? Because I'd like to see the effort to be spend on more needed things like Unicode, x64 and UAC.
Its just my opinion and I hope, you won't be offended by it.

Post Reply