Unicode

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
steppler

Unicode

Post by steppler »

Hello everybody!

I know the Unicode support has been discussed for several times already, BUT:

- It's strange for the application nowadays not support it
- It limits greatly the usefulness of the program (especially in Europe, where it is normal to use more than 2 languages in different encodings, like English, Spanish and Cyrillic)
Example - I must use Windows Explorer every time I have to copy or move directories of files with different character sets in their names.

If Windows itself supports Unicode (for several long years already) - why can't you?
Why the Unicode support is always remain on your roadmap?

Didn't have any intention to offend the developers - Servant Salamander is a great product and I just wish it to be better.
And as I saw it in other Feature Requests - many people put Unicode support in front of the 64 bit or UAC support.

Please let us know when Unicode will be available.

Thank you.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Unicode

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Please be assured we understand the lack of UAC/x64/Unicode support is frustrating and is high priority task.

Support for language translations is finally finished from AS 2.53. Now we need to release new version of our obsolete website, then we will switch to new Microsoft C++ compiler (VS 2008 or 2010). Our current VS 6 is not supported on x64 Windows Vista/7 anymore and causing us productivity headache.

With the new compiler we will be able resolve major missing features. We plan to do some experiments and find out time requirements for Unicode and x64 support. We will let you know about our findings. The whole problem is size of Altap Salamander source code, it is 16MB (500.000 lines) right now. For both Unicode and x64 implementation you need to update and audit whole source code. UAC support should be smaller patch, but we need to try out.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

I've been there: between a rock and a hard place. My recommendation has always been to upgrade/switch environment first! Then any new development effort only occurs once.

Thank you for clarifying the issues, it is a good policy to be honest with the user community about these kinds of things.
Mouse-centric, Registered
steppler

Post by steppler »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Please be assured we understand the lack of UAC/x64/Unicode support is frustrating and is high priority task.
Thank you very much for explaining the situation.
How do you think - when we can expect the version with Unicode support?

I wish you a smooth transition to the new compiler :)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm unable to say before we will try. We need to do some tests (a few weeks of coding and analyzing) to find out. We will let you know when we will be there. Right now: new website + switch to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008/2010.

Plus: we will continue to work with translators on upcoming language translations.
mousemates

Post by mousemates »

Hi,
It's more than 1 year, and still no UNICODE support. In your Roadmap it is not mentioned. Should we still hope for support or not ??
I'm sorry but in 2012! a Windows program without UNICODE support is ridiculous..
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will implement Unicode support after x64 version that will be released in EAP soon. More information.
steppler

Post by steppler »

Nice to read again these posts as years pass by.
The first time the Unicode topics appeared on this forum.... in 2005!!!
Seems incredible, no?
And it already was "an important feature".
Then it became a "high priority" feature.
Now - it will be implemented in the NEXT version.
Well, guys, is it really worths your efforts to polish numerous plugins, if you don't have time to implement one of the most basic features?
I could understand this if you were located in California, but you aren't.
You are the first to face Unicode-related problems.
What are you waiting for?
thuety

Post by thuety »

wow, 2010 :shock: