Automatic Retry

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
MrAsker

Automatic Retry

Post by MrAsker »

When Copying or Moving large amounts of data it would be good if you could set an optional automatic retry. Maybe it could be something like "if no manual input, retry in X seconds".
therube

Re: Automatic Retry

Post by therube »

Maybe not a bad idea.

Or perhaps an automatic Skip All after some timeout, or to preset a Skip All prior to starting the copy process.
(Suppose the same could hold true for an All too.)

I can know ahead of time that on certain copies, I'll run (at some point in the process) into confirmation prompts.

If I want the copy to proceed in an automated fashion, I'll know that I have to monitor the process at least up until the first prompt, at which point I can select Skip All. After that I can be assured that the copying will continue until completion, uninterrupted.

(Now obviously I need to be aware that that potentially some files were skipped, for various reasons, & I'll need to account for that if need be.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
MrAsker

Post by MrAsker »

The Copy/Move already have a lot of options so I think this would be a very good addition to all the other useful option.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

The FTP Copy/Move dialog behaves IMO nicely - doing as much as it could. Same behavior would be nice for local copy/move operations also.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

+1 for automatic retry (usually happens when delete from X: is slower than parallel copy to X :)

-1 for automatic "skip all" as it seems to be too dangerous in my eyes as "auto skip" would lead to non-deterministic behaviour. If it will be implemented, I am extremely interested to be able to deactivate it in configuration. Reason: For some issues I want skip, for other I want cancel. So even for operations I know beforehand there will be a reason that makes me choose skip, I can't be sure there won't be at least one reason to cancel - after the operation I can't rely on a certain result/state.
Using Salamander since v 1.52