Left and right key additionally for navigation

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
weirdnose

Left and right key additionally for navigation

Post by weirdnose »

Hey guys,

I've been using Servant Salamander for years now and I really do like the moment someone looks me over the shoulder and is astonished by the speed and accessibility of AS. Everyone I know uses the Windows Explorer :roll:

However there is one thing in Gnome Commander which inspired me. In the directory tree, you can use Enter to dive into a directory / folder and backspace to move one level higher.

But additionally it is possible to do this by pressing the left and right keys. Right to enter a directory and left to leave it. In my experience, this makes navigation even faster (you only need one hand at one place). And those keys aren't being used by default in navigation for something else. So, it would be really nice if you could add those to keys to navigation.

Thanks,

Tobias
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Left and right key additionally for navigation

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Tobias, the problem is it can work only in detailed mode (you need left/right arrows for navigation in other view modes) and you will lost option to scroll left/right.

Also during quick-search mode the left/right keys are used for cursor navigation, while Enter works fine.
weirdnose

Post by weirdnose »

Ok, now you know which mode I am always using :)

Anyway, maybe this could be an option in detailed mode only. If not using the typing feature to find a file fast. If nothing is selected, left and right are not in use. In this case left and right could be used for superfast navigation.

If there would anywhere be a configuration xml file, I would set this up for myself. But there isn't :(

Thanks for the fast reply,

Tobias
weirdnose

Post by weirdnose »

Hey Jan,

I tried to scroll left and right but this is actually never happening. If a filename is really long, it simply gets replaced in the middle by dots ...

So there is no scrolling in detailed mode, if I am not wrong. :)

Tobias
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It depends on panel content (number of long file/directory names to short names) and setting of "Smart mode"
http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/help/salam ... _views.htm
weirdnose

Post by weirdnose »

Ah ok,

I see how this works. But still, if the smart option is activated, the keys are without function and could be used for navigation. It is possible to implement this. That would be great. 8)

Tobias
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

If the Smart mode is active, you can still need to scroll to left and right. Just try to resize the main window to small size.

It is possible to implement the option you are asking for. I just see it as low priority right now.
weirdnose

Post by weirdnose »

Alright, I've never had my Salamander Window as small as this before.

But anyhow, thanks for putting this onto the todo-list. Maybe another Gnome fan might join my feature request in the future!

Tobias
Textor

Post by Textor »

weirdnose wrote:But additionally it is possible to do this by pressing the left and right keys. Right to enter a directory and left to leave it. In my experience, this makes navigation even faster (you only need one hand at one place). And those keys aren't being used by default in navigation for something else. So, it would be really nice if you could add those to keys to navigation.
You can define various keyboard commands yourself with http://www.autohotkey.com/, if you don't mind a little programming.

That includes commands that are only active when a certain program is running, or a when particular window/dialog/listbox etc. inside that program has focus.

Here is an AHK hotkey definition as an example. It navigates to the E:\SubDirs\J folder when Shift-j is pressed in Salamander:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class SalamanderMainWindowVer25

+j::
send +{F7}
send {BS}
Sleep 5
Send E:\SubDirs\J
send {Enter}
return